A History pt. 1

Location: Neath

Time: 500 years before the Emergence.

Neath's rolling terrain and vast forest made it easy to get lost. Villages stretched far and wide along the Terran river and the river flowed right through the kingdom's Palace. The Sisters of Draoid lived within the Palace walls to stay close to the cave, Ethestia. Iris loved the Palace and the gardens that wrapped around it but, there was something about the days she got to explore Neath's vast lands that she cherished.

"Sister Esther says we'll have to partake in trials soon." Artemis said. She had medium brown skin and long dreadlocks. Her eyes were bright green like sapphire and her cheek had a small horizontal scar from an accident with one of her arrows.

Brigid laughed, "Is the huntress nervous?" She glanced at Artemis her pale blue eyes sparkling in the setting star. She was thin and had unkept ginger curls.

"No," She said. "I simply want time to prepare. I don't think that's much to ask." Artemis pressed her thumb into her bow, tracing the carvings she created.

"What do you think Iris?" Brigid nudged her side into Iris's. She hadn't really given the idea of trials much thought. It was hard to imagine what they would be like.

She shrugged, "Has a Draoid ever chosen not to take the trials?" She asked. Artemis and Brigid stopped in their tracks. Both women looked at Iris as if she had just admitted to murder.

"You shouldn't ask a question like that."Artemis said.

"It was just a question." Iris said.

Artemis and Brigid glanced at each other, the shared glance was enough for Iris to understand there were far more secrets that the Draoid have then she could ever know. Brigid took a step toward her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "You just emerged from Ethestia, it's okay. Curiosity isn't a bad thing out here but, with the elder sisters you should remember that they won't take such questions lightly."

"To answer it, there has never been a sister that refuses the trials." Artemis said. "It's the life we were created for. It is the only way." She said before walking past Brigid and Iris, continuing the trek. Brigid gave Iris one more glance and then followed Artemis. She followed behind the two girls her chin tucked down.

<<<>>>

The sisters knelt at the edge of the cave. None are to enter when the Eldest talked with Ethestia. Iris through the black veil stared into the darkness of the cave. Some sisters prayed others kept their head down. The cold breeze that came from the cave held whispers and the darkness was like a magnet, Iris wanted to run in, to see what arcane secrets lived in the shadows. Suddenly she saw the light of a small flame appear, "Esther," She whispered.

The sisters stirred, as the Eldest slowly walked toward the entrance. Iris stood up and took a step forward but a hand was clutching her arm before she could move to Esther.

"How dare you stand before the Eldest gave you permission?" Sister Anu scolded. She pushed Iris backwards. "She needs a punishment."

"She's the youngest." Brigid glanced up from her spot on the ground. "Once Esther recovers it should be her choice."

"Esther is not our master." Anu said.

Iris stared at Esther, she was pale and she had the slightest tremble. If conversing with Ethestia weakened Esther so much, Iris wondered if it was truly a good being. Esther dropped the lantern when she was at the edge of the cave opening. Iris stepped over to her and put a hand on her back. Anu gasped and shot a blast of energy at Iris but Esther blocked it with a shield.