deja vu

Present Day - Airplane

"Can you tell me how you met Druig and what you see in him? " Kingo asked Freya with Karun across from her with a camera in her face.

    "I —" she looked to her left and Gilgamesh shrugged at her, "I was stabbed and thrown from Asgard and I landed in his village."

    "Wow. How convenient?" He smiled. "Did he kidnap you? Or maybe he," Kingo pointed at his head, "made you like him?"

    "No," She shook her head. "He saved me." She looked out the plane window. The sun was disappearing behind clouds as it set. "He actually taught me how to use my powers, how to fight..." She felt her stomach drop and her eyes sting. "If you'll excuse me." She stood up from her seat and moved to the back of the cabin. Freya wasn't sure she could face him.

    It had been five years since she hurt him, destroyed their relationship. She had no idea what he would do when he saw her but, she wasn't ready to find out.

    "Don't mind Kingo," Gilgamesh walked up to her. He took a seat at the bar and motioned for her to do the same. "What happened?" He asked.

    "Five years ago, after the snap... after we lost." She swallowed, the memories of the snap, of Loki — "I went to him and asked him to erase those memories. He refused and I was terrible. Like a child throwing a tantrum."

    He nodded and took in a breath, "And you think there is no room for forgiveness?" He raised his eyebrows.

    "I wouldn't blame him if there wasn't." She glanced down at her hands, "After the Battle of New York I thought, I'll never leave again. But then Thor came down and told me my mother and brother had died... if I had gone with them — rather than return to Druig — I knew they'd be alive." She felt a tear fall down her cheek, "Granted, Loki's death was just one of his games," She let out a small laugh and shook her head. "But after that, I was obsessed. I had to be in the fight because if I wasn't someone would die. I was sure of it."

    Gil sat up straight, "And then you lost..."

    "And then we lost." She nodded. "We lost for the first time. I just wanted the guilt to be gone." She closed her eyes and tears fell down her cheeks, "I wanted, so badly, to stay with him but, I knew if I remembered I couldn't stay."

    "You were asking too much of him." Gilgamesh said. "One of the last times we were all together Thena almost had to give up her memories because of a sickness she has. She was uncontrollable and would turn on us."

    "What happened?"

    "When Ajak suggested for Thena's memories to be taken, Druig was disturbed by the very idea. We all were because she wouldn't be Thena without her memories." Gilgamesh said. "But I promised to look after her."

    "Why?" She asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

    "Because I love her." He pressed his lips together. "I would take care of her, I would help her through life for eternity."

<<<>>>

March 2nd 2016 - The Amazon

    Freya stood close to Maria, who held a wooden staff in her hands. "You're doing good." She smiled across the clearing at Druig. "Let's try that combo one more time."

    "Okay." Maria said. She got into a fighting stance and Freya grabbed a wooden staff from the ground.

    "Ready?" She asked and Maria nodded.