A History pt. 2

Location: Neath
Time: 250 years before the Emergence.

    The rectangular coliseum had walls that went three stories high and no roof. The tile was silver, much like the rest of the Neath Palace. Large emerald curtains covered the open windows between each column. Iris hit the hard tile and her face scrunched up with pain.

    "Get up." A thin hand shot out in front of her. Thena stood with a golden weapon in hand and a small smile on her lips. "You hesitated." Iris wrapped her hand around Thena's. The tall blonde woman lifted her with ease. "You can never hesitate.

    Artemis, Brigid and Makkari walked in. "We tested my theory." Artemis said and signed. "Makkari is faster that Brigid's light."

    "You shouldn't be playing." Anu, who leaned against a column said with a scowl on her face. "We should be out looking for those beasts."

    "I like the way you think." Thena said. "Gil and I could accompany you on a scouting mission." She walked over to Anu who's scowl never left her lips.

    "Thanks but, I'd rather work with my own." Anu pushed off the column and with a twirl of her hand, she disappeared.

    "Don't mind Anu." Artemis walked over to Thena. "She's a bit of an exclusionist." She grabbed her bow from a table.

    "I won't." Thena said.

    "Good because I'd like to take you up on that offer." She stretched out the bowstring and aimed it away from the others. "I'd like to see one of these beasts up close."

    Makkari stepped up to Artemis, "I should go to." She signed. Artemis grinned, her soft hazel eyes meeting Makkari's.

    "Nervous about me?" She signed and Makkari nudged her a smile growing on her lips. Artemis looked to Thena, "Ever thought of using a bow?" She asked and the three women walked toward one of the large openings.

    Brigid stepped up to Iris, "Don't look now but, I believe someone has their eye on you." She whispered.

    "What?" Iris's eyes widened and she turned around. In the far corner, the Eternal named Druig, sat with a book in one hand and a piece of fruit in the other. He glanced down at his book.

    "He always looks at you." Brigid said. Iris shook her head and looked back to her sister. "Sisters are not allowed to court or create soul bonds but, Esther has always treated you differently. You may be the only one that gets away with it."

    "I would never go against the oath." Iris tucked her chin down. Brigid's head tilted to the side.

    "I was told my whole life that the cave would bring bounty. That sisters have been born in the darkness and would continue for millions of years." Brigid said. "And yet Ethestia has told Esther you are the last. Perhaps now is the time to break oaths."

    Iris pondered on Brigid's words and her eyes lifted up to look at the man once more. He black suit, similar to his eternals, but also more unique than the others. In the last 50 years Esther had kept Iris to herself. They trained, and meditated, she passed her trials, she took the oath. But that spirit of curiosity could never be snuffed out.

    She moved across the room and stood an arms length from him. His eyes were trained on the book as she walked over but once she stood in front of him, he looked at her.

    "Hello." He said

    "I'm Iris." She said.

    "I know," His lips curled up. "Why has Sister Esther kept you from the rest of the group for so long?"