.015

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

The woods. That's where Emilia decided she wanted to be and spend as much of her time as she could. The first time that she had incessantly begged Daryl to take her, the humid air and cool patches of mud made her feel safe - like they were a second home to her being. They were a place that never judged her or made her feel different. That's not even considering the fact that seeing the new sights of the mysterious woods was much better than being stuck within the boundaries the cinder blocks of the prison established, forcing her to look at the same few walls time and time again. The only other option was to go outside, where she would look at the same couple fences in the prison yard. That had only began occurring recently, after she took her first few steps past the line she had formed on a particular spot across the pavement.

Emmie waited close to the fence that concealed the courtyard, keeping a lookout for the only person she wanted to see right then. She had stood a few paces behind the barrier so that she wasn't close to the grubby hands clawing their way through the gaps in the chain links, reaching for her with an angry urgency. The smell was atrocious and burnt her nose every time she caught a whiff. When there were so many walkers in the same proximity, the rotting smell was always amplified. It became even worse when the scalding sun brought forth an even more fowl, unpleasant smell from the decomposing bodies. Even though they were several yards away on the outside of the outer fence, it was still easy to smell their presence.

The revving of a motorcycle in the distance grabbed her attention, pulling her towards the wire barrier, wishing she could escape its grasps already. She wrapped her fingers through the loops of metal, clutching them tightly while she tried to see who was coming, but already knew the answer without it having to be confirmed for her. As soon as Daryl emerged from the lush growth surrounding the road, she took off in a run that left her dark hair streaming in the wind behind her. She never ran as quickly as she did on days like this, and it was something she wasn't afraid to admit. Although the high grass made running a challenge, she managed to ignore it, lifting her knees nearly up to her chest as she raced towards him.

Daryl parked his motorcycle in the same place he always did. When he got off, Emmie had just reached him. She was still out of breath, but trying to hide it, she spoke to the best of her ability.

"Can-can we go out in . . . in the woods together?" she panted, searching for the right words in the midst of her exhaustion. If she would've run any further, the glimmer of sweat on her forehead would've thickened considerably and would've become more noticeable. Daryl stared down at her, considering her request. He was tired, but saw her face light up at just the thought of leaving and new it wasn't an expression she made very often anymore.