.046

Pick up the pieces. Pick up the pieces. You've done it before and you're going to do it again. Get over it. You have to get over it. Just forget about it all and pick up the pieces. Pick up the pieces.

    "My dad's back," Carl says, bursting through the front door and startling me from my daze. I inhale sharply, caught off guard, but calm myself once I see him standing in front of me. Carol came a little over an hour ago to tell us everything outside was alright. With the news that everyone in our group still happened to be alive, there was also the unfortunate news that many of the others had been killed. Of course, this came as no surprise to me. The only thing that had kept them alive all this time were the walls. They kept the danger outside. That was until the danger came inside and there was nothing left to protect them.

    Enid had left as soon as Carol had opened the door. She never said a word to anyone as she walked out. It hadn't surprised me that she wanted to leave as soon as she could, but she didn't even say goodbye. Since then, Carl left to walk around a little and see the damage. I had offered to stay home and watch Judith. I almost wanted to ask Carol to do that task, but one look at her, the dirty cloak around her frame and the "W" painted in blood on her forehead, I knew she wasn't exactly ready for that.

    I had wanted to stay home for other reasons, too. I needed to sort things out in my mind for a little bit before I re-emerged myself with all of it. The last thing I needed to be doing was helping drag the bodies away from the community. I know I have to get used to this life even more than I already have, but I'm not sure I'm ready.

    Pick up the pieces. It's over. You know you'd do it again. You're going to have to do it again. Pick up the pieces.

    I stand, glad to see Carl at first, but my meek smile disappears once I see the concern on his face. "W-what is it?" I stutter.

    "You know the dry run that was supposed to happen today?" I nod hesitantly. "The quarry broke open. They had to do it all today. For real." My eyes widen in fear, not understanding.

    "What-what happened?"

    "They all got out. Some of them were led away by Daryl, Sasha, and Abraham, but some weren't. Glenn and Nicholas are still missing and my dad just got back. He barely got back." I can see the anguish on his face as he recounts the events. I rush towards him, giving him the tightest hug I can. "He's okay, but . . ."

    "But . . . but what?"

    "The other half of the herd was brought here." I pull away from him, disbelief filling me through and through. There's no way this can be happening right now. "They're outside the walls, but there's a lot." I pass Carl, ignoring what he has to say and running for the door. Once I'm outside, I'm sprinting as fast as my legs can carry me in the direction of the gate. Just moments ago, I hadn't known if I would be able to even let my joints move again for a while, but here I am, moving as quickly as my muscles will allow.

    I notice a group of people clustered beside the wall, so move that direction. I come to a stop, breathless and addled. The first thing I notice besides the worried expressions on everyone's faces is the pounding on the walls and the growling surfacing from outside. We are surrounded. This causes a new panic to rise in me - one I thought I couldn't have. I feel completely trapped in here. My eyes move to Rosita I immediately gravitate towards here. Her eyes lighten a little once she sees me.

    "You're safe?" What happened earlier is the least of my worries now.

    "Yeah I'm fine. What's going on?"

    "About half the herd is here." She doesn't have to say anymore for me to know how dire our situation is. I see Carl join us. I don't say anything to him because I don't have anything to say.