.029

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

    The group returns nearly an hour later. An RV that makes me think of Dale, someone who I hadn't thought about in forever, and a white car pull into the free space in front of the barn. Glenn hops out and tells us to start helping him unload. Everyone follows suit and does as they're told.

    I wonder what we're supposed to be unloading at first. When I get close enough to see, I notice the bunches of canned goods being cradled in everyone's hands and arms. I grab a few myself and help bring them into the barn. Rick seems overwhelmed by the sudden surplus of food. I do, too. I haven't gotten any less hungry.

    For about ten minutes, our entire group takes turns bringing the food from the RV and into the barn. In the end, Maggie and I end up having to volunteer to rearrange the food so it doesn't become a messy pile.

    Rick starts to closely examine the cans as the last of it is brought in and deposited onto the ground by Carl. "This - this is ours now," Rick says to Aaron, shaking a can in his hand to prove his point.

    "There's more than enough," Aaron responds, not the least bit dejected. This is odd because, from what I've learned, losing food is something you should be dejected about these days.

    "It's ours whether or not we go to your camp."

    "What do you mean? Why wouldn't we go?" Carl asks.

    "If he were lying or if he wanted to hurt us, but he isn't and he doesn't," Michonne sighs, adding in her own opinion. "We need this, so we're going - all of us. Somebody say something if they feel differently." The room remains silent. At once, I'm almost considering that the idea of going to this camp wouldn't be a bad option.

    "I don't know, man. This barn smells like horse shit," Daryl jokes in an attempt to convince Rick to agree with Michonne.

    "Yeah. We're going," he says back seriously. "So, where are we going? Where's your camp?"

    "Well, every time I've done this, I've been behind the wheel, driving recruits back. I believe you're good people. I've bet my life on it. I'm just not ready to bet my friends' lives just yet."

    "You're not driving," Michonne sighs, shutting Aaron down. "So if you want to get home, you'll have to tell us how."

    Aaron swallows hard before giving directions. "Go north on Route 16."

    "And then?"

    "I'll tell you when we get there."

    "We'll take 23 north," Rick says. "You'll give us directions from there."