.030

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

    When I open the car door, the air immediately fills with the noise of laughter. It's the laughter of children. The sound pricks my ears gently and forces a small smile onto my lips. At first, the entirety of it seems unreal. It all feels impossible. My stomach lurches and I feel as though I could throw up what little food I have left in my stomach.

    The bitter sun melts into my tired skin. Right now, however, the warming rays are unable to make my posture hunch. Instead, my back stays straight as an arrow while my eyes look onward to the rusty gate ahead of us. I hear Carl slide out of the car behind me. The car door clicks shut quietly as a hand wraps itself around my forearm. I almost recoil out of surprise, but I'm too mesmerized by what's in front of me to even react.

    The group begins to move forward, grabbing their weapons and what little belongings they have with them into their arms. Everyone is just as stunned as I am. Their chins lift up towards the sky as they examine the gates and the tall wall in front of us. Aaron wasn't lying. At first, I feel bad for even considering that he would have been. I have no time to do so when I remind myself that none of us have seen what's inside. Although cheery cries of laughter are audible, we have no reason other than to play it safe.

    I grab my free hand and hold onto Carl's arm, allowing it to give me every ounce of support I so desperately need. I feel like every bit of breath has escaped me. We're here. We're actually here. After the events of last night, I was hesitant about actually making it.

    With a metallic whine, the gate slides open. My attention draws closer as I await what's inside. Somehow, my feet carry me forward, but I can't feel myself moving.

    Aaron and Eric are the first to enter Alexandria. Aaron has Eric's arm hoisted over his shoulder as they work in a symphony of limps and grunts to move a few steps. My eyes linger on a sight next to the door. For the walls around being so rusty and old, the sign is new and welcoming. In bold, dark letters "WELCOME TO ALEXANDRIA" is engraved across the plain surface.

    Once Aaron and Eric reach the entrance, Eric is handed off to someone else and helped to safety. Aaron places a kind smile onto his lips as he watches Eric go before stopping to look back at us.

    I hear shuffling feet from behind. I turn to see Rick walking slowly towards us, Judith in his arms and an almost amused smirk on his face. Otherwise, his face seems blank and unreadable.

    A rustling in the weeds to the left of our group sends everyone into immediate terror. Guns and knives are raised in a meek attempt to defend ourselves from whatever is waiting for us. There it is. There's what has been waiting for us to arrive so it can kill us.