.031

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

    Carl and I walk back to our house, no longer curious to look around. We'll have plenty of time for that later. Plus, when Rick allowed us to go, I'm guessing he didn't mean very far. I can still see our house in the distance, Rick standing at the railing of the porch.

    As soon as we reach the house next door to the one we're staying in, Carol steps down from the porch and waves us towards it. Carl and I step up the stairs, Carol right behind us, and we walk inside.

    Although the house is a little bit smaller than the one we're staying at, it's still very large. Everything is spread out and spacious. "These are like mansions," Carl comments as we reach the kitchen, his eyes scanning the ceiling.

    "Mhm. And they're just giving them away," sighs Carol from the window. I stand beside her, staring outside. Shadowy bars surface on our bodies where the sun is blocked out from the blinds. "Are you coming?" Carol asks us. I turn to see Carl still looking around at the shelves filled with books and antique decorations.

    "In a minute," Carl replies. I follow Carol down the hall and back out the door. We walk outside and into the strip of lawn between our two houses. It's shady compared to the street that's being bathed in sunlight. Daryl and Rick come our way. We meet in the middle.

    "They're right next to each other, but-"

    "They took our weapons and now they're splitting us up," Rick finishes for her.

    "Yeah," Daryl agrees. I stay quiet, letting the adults speak. Carol lifts her head and faces it towards the street, another giddy smile covering her mouth. I don't get it. Right now, we're talking about our risked safety, but Carol is grinning.

    "We'll all be staying in the same house tonight," says Rick, not putting it up for debate. "Where's Carl?" Rick asks me, just noticing his son's absence.

    "He's still inside."

    "Go get him. We're going to have dinner shortly and set up for the night. I think everyone is ready for some sleep."

     "I'll be right back." I walk  back to the house, pulling up my pants as I do. I need a new pair so badly. These are way too uncomfortable.

    When I get inside and close the door behind me, I don't hear his voice, a sound I had been expecting. I turn into the living room where he had just been, but he's nowhere to be found. I almost call his name when I notice him walking up the steps, entranced by something.