Enchanted

"Do you think I should've kept her home from school?" I nervously ask Ash as we're seated behind the cafe counter, waiting for any customers.

"No, Y/N. The kid had a migraine, not an aneurysm. She felt fine last night and this morning, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, there you go. You can't protect her from everything. Just relax and enjoy Blondie singing about being 22 and getting hammered," Ash concludes.

"The song means so much more than that, you know. I thought I taught you better than this," I scold her.

"I know, but that's not the point. When's the last time you even went out?"

"I 'went out' plenty when I was dancing in a thong to afford the mountain of bills that comes with a newborn baby," I remind her bitterly.

"Right, sorry. But, c'mon, it can be fun if you're with the right people. Or person. As in a single woman, maybe blonde...British..." she trails off with a suggestive smirk.

"Stop. Literally stop, Ash. You're freakin' weird. I've met her like twice. Besides, she's like a totally amazing, famous actress and I'm...well, I'm me."

"Shut the fuck up. Stop acting like you aren't amazing," she snaps.

"I'm twenty-one and I have a kid, Ash. Not many people are gonna wanna take that on. Especially not people my age."

"So go for a MILF. Simple. Hey, maybe the Brit will introduce you to Scarlett Johansson," she suggests with a proud smile as if she just unmasked Jack the Ripper and provided a solution to everything.

"Oh god. Please stop."

"Never. You need to have some fun."

"According to my hometown, I've already have plenty of fun," I joke.

"That's not funny, Y/N. Those fuckers are dumb for ever believing him over you," Ash states seriously.

Whatever smart remark I was about to make was cut off by the door opening, and in walked the very woman that had plagued my mind ever since she walked in that rainy day. She quickly catches my eye and begins to walk toward us with a sweet, handsomely crooked smile.

"Good morning, Florence. How are you today?" I greet her.

"I'm doing well. How are you?"

"Oh, she's doing a lot better now," Ash butts in from beside me. I deliver a swift kick to her lower leg in retaliation and confusion blossoms across Florence's face at Ash's wince.

"Sorry, she's, um, I'm- tea?" I stammer, feeling my face heat up to my ears.

Laughing, she nods and says, "Yes, please. That would be lovely."

"For here?" I ask, to which she nods. "Coming right up, then."

I work silently, ducking my head to avoid eye contact as Ash and Florence make small talk. I hear Florence ask, "You all seem pretty young to be working here alone. Is this shop locally owned?"

"Um yeah, actually, I own it," I interject timidly.

"Oh, no way! That's so cool! How old are you lot, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Ash and I are both 21, and David is 24," I tell her as I set her tea down in front of her.

"That's amazing. There aren't enough young entrepreneurs in the world. I mean, everybody just thinks they have to take this set-in-stone path and I love how our generation just decided that societal norms needed a change-up," she gushes adorably.

"I couldn't agree more," I chuckle. "Do you work around here?"

"I live in apartment a few blocks up the road and I work a few blocks further down. Which is why I'm always walking by and stopping in. I promise I'm not a stalker or anything."

"Hm, are you sure you're not a stalker? I could totally see you being a stalker. Maybe even add a sprinkle of psychopathy in the mix," I tease with faux seriousness.

"Oh, is that what you think of me?" she kids with a smirk.

"Wow, I'm really starting to feel like a third wheel. Bosslady, if you're gonna keep flirting, can I take my break?" Ash interjects.

Just like that, the vibrant blush returns to my cheeks. "Sure, go ahead."

She wiggles her eyebrows at me as she makes her escape, and I'm very tempted to throw a bag of coffee grounds at her head.

Florence's phone dings and she checks the message before saying, "That's my work. I've got to go. Thank you for the tea, Y/N."

"Anytime, Florence."

She stands up and just before she reaches the door, I get the feeling that I forgot something. "Hey, wait!" I call. "Have you listened to Red (Taylor's Version)? It just dropped," I ask, gesturing to the speakers currently playing "Holy Ground" in the shop.

"Yes, I have. One of my friends is obsessed with Taylor Swift," she replies, laughing.

"Oh, well, have you heard "Enchanted" off of Speak Now?"

"No, I don't believe I have."

"Well, uh, I think you should. Listen to it, I mean. I really like it," I tell her as I fiddle with the corner of a napkin. And I was enchanted to meet you, I think to myself.

"I will definitely give it a listen. I'll see you tomorrow, Y/N."

"See you tomorrow, Florence," I say as she leaves the shop. "Wait, tomorrow? Does that mean she's coming back tomorrow?" I ask myself out loud.

"Yes, you clueless idiot," Ash says as she emerges from the backroom, scaring the shit out of me.

Recovering from my mini heart attack, I glare at her. "People really need to stop scaring me like that. At this rate, my heart's not gonna make it to 25."

"Then stop being such an easy target."

"You're very annoying today, Ashlynn."

"Mhm, sure, whatever. That whole situation with Florence, by the way, kinda gay. Just sayin'."

"Don't you have some jackass of a dude to call or something?"

"Jeez, no need for the attitude."