Today Was A Fairytale (Taylor's Version)

"Syd? Babe, I'm home," I call out as I enter the apartment.

"Hey, Y/N. She's asleep in her room."

"Headache?" I ask. Ash nods and I sigh. "Thank you for picking her up from school."

"Don't mention it. How'd it go?"

"Well, we talked, we fought, and then we almost kissed but I told her I can't kiss her if she has a boyfriend," I recap glumly.

"Good for you. But also, you should've just kissed her."

"Ash," I whine. "You're not making me feel any better about this whole situation."

"Right, sorry. What do you need?"

"A nap. And whiskey."

"Okay, that's easy enough. There's Crown in the cupboard. Pour yourself a glass. I'm gonna go. I love you," she says, grabbing her jacket and keys.

"I love you, Ash. Thank you."

"You're welcome, bitch," she winks, closing the door behind her. I pour a glass of Crown and quickly down it before setting the glass in the sink.

I change into shorts and a hoodie and tiptoe to Syd's room. I sigh when I see her curled up in a ball under the covers, a wet washcloth resting on her forehead. I grab the washcloth and change it out for a new one, then slide into bed next to her. I listen to her steady deep breaths to assure myself that everything is fine. I have my little girl, and everything is fine.

~

By the time I wake up, it's dark in the apartment and quiet in the city. Well, as quiet as a city gets. Syd is still asleep, so I check her temperature before leaving the room.

Turning on a lamp so I can see, I find my phone on the counter and check the time. It's almost three in the morning and I have a text from Florence.

Can we do something tomorrow? Just as friends. Syd should come too. I just want to see you.

My heart melts a little at her text and a small smile graces my face. I don't know if it's the best idea to keep hanging out with her, but I just want to spend time together. We can stick to being friends, right? We're not doing anything wrong.

Me: Sorry, I fell asleep and didn't see your text. That sounds great. Syd and I were gonna go to the museum tomorrow, if you wanna join?

She answers almost immediately, and I briefly wonder why she's awake so late. But, then again, I'm awake too.

Florence: I'd really like that. Where should we meet?
Me: the shop at 10? It's a short walk from there.
Florence: I'll see you at 10 ;)

A wink? Why is she winking at me? Don't wink at me, we're just hanging out. As friends. With a child present. Don't wink at me.

I begin typing out a message to the group chat, but then remember what time it is and decide against it. I don't think Scarlett and Lizzie would be pleased if I texted them at three in the morning.

~

"Syd, honey, get up. We're going to the museum with Florence."

She mumbles something incomprehensible and I shake her again. "I'll make you whatever you want for breakfast."

"Not hungry."

"Please?"

She hesitates before opening one eye. "Even crepes?"

"Fine, yes. I will make you crepes," I agree.

"Okay then," she says happily, jumping out of bed.

"Unbelievable," I mutter as she skips into the kitchen, wide awake.

I force her to go get ready while I cook, effectively destroying the kitchen as I do so. There are dishes and batter everywhere, but I finish plating some crepes just as Syd comes back into the kitchen.

"Can we go to the park too? And get ice cream? I wanna show Florence the fishies in the pond under the bridge," Syd rambles as we eat.

"Only if Florence wants to. She might have other things to do today, remember. I take it you're feeling better?"

She nods, her mouth full. "'M not sick anymore, Momma."

"Good. Let me know if you don't feel good, okay?"

It takes a miracle, but we make it out of the apartment and to the shop in time. We sit inside while we wait, since we got here a few minutes early. "Hi Florence!" Syd yells, hopping off the countertop. I turn, watching with a smile as they hug and Syd begins gushing about ice cream and the museum and the park.

"I'd love to get ice cream with you, Syd. We can spend as long as you want together," Florence says, although I think she's partially directing it at me. "Are you ready to go?" she asks me, looking up through her lashes from where she crouches on the ground next to Syd.

"Yeah, let's go."

"I'll lead the way," Syd declares, marching out of the shop. Offering my hand to help Florence stand up, we quickly follow after her.

The little demon child bounds ahead while we hang behind, walking next to each other. I can tell that neither of us quite know what to say.

"So do I get to know why Wanda, Natasha, and Yelena are in a movie together?" I break the silence. I've been wondering what they're filming this whole time.

"I can't tell you that! Have you not heard about the Marvel snipers?!" she exclaims.

"Oh, right right, my bad. Wouldn't want you getting taken out," I play along.

"I'm not sure I believe you."

"Oh really? I don't let just anyone come to the museum with me, Miss Pugh."

"Well then I'm glad I made the cut."