chance meeting

Toby had started pacing around nervously ever since they left the Forge in favour of going to Blinky's Library where Jim was supposed to be in. A sinking feeling settling in his gut the moment he stepped inside and saw a Library devoid of life. Devoid of Jim. 

"Master Tobias," Blinky started "I implore you to please calm down. I'm sure your friend is safe." The blue troll said in an attempt to calm down a worried trollhunter. 

"Jim is smart, I'm sure he's alright, Toby" Claire added, more to try and convince herself that Jim was alright somewhere out there in trollmarket. 

"Oh… I knew I shouldn't have left Jimbo alone…" Toby voiced out, concern dripping out with every word he spoke "What if a passing troll squished him? Or worse, what if he was eaten?!" The teen started to panic, gripping onto his hair in an attempt to reduce his worry.

Just then, a certain and very familiar sound of a staff clinking against hard stone ground echoed throughout the library. Everyone froze. Vendel did not like it when things were out of order, so how was he to react when he finds out that they had lost a human in Trollmarket? 

"Blinkous Galadrigal." The elder's voice boomed, travelling into the library before he himself could arrive. Now it was Blinky's turn to panic, what was he to say to the old troll that wouldn't get him mad? Afterall, did very much respect Vendel, even if they often argued. 

The old troll walked in, and to everyone's surprise, Jim was easily being carried by the elder in one hand, much to his dismay. The teen had still been quite tired, the faint traces of a migraine still lingered like a stain. "I believe this is yours?" Vendel voiced, fully stepping inside the room. 

"Jim!" The two other teens in the room ran over, however slower than their trainer who had immediately taken Jim in his own hands. "Young Jim! Are you alright?" Blinky asked in worry for the humans safety, not wanting there to be any complications between the trolls and their new human trollhunter. 

"I-I'm fine, guys…" Jim managed to hoarsely say, despite the aching of his head. "I'm just a bit tired…" 

"I found him passed out on the way out of the forge." It was Vendel that spoke for Jim. "It seemed as though the adrenaline spike caused a hormonal crash in the boy." Jim simply looked thankful towards the older troll for his half lie, he really didn't want to worry his friends any more than he already had today. "A good night's rest and he should be fine. I'll take my leave now." And with that, Vendel walked out of the library, a hand behind his arched back, once again in his regular stance as if no mind breaking information was just laid down on him not more than an hour ago. 

---

The three teens were now walking down a street, hauling their bikes mostly in the quiet except for the occasional question of "are you okay, Jim" and "Trolls. Trolls exist. And according to Blinky, they do take and eat socks." 

Claire stopped at the crossroads before looking at the other two teens who had stopped to look at her as well. "This is my turn guys." She said with a small smile. "See you two tomorrow at school? And early morning rehearsal?" She asked rather hopeful. 

All Jim could do was smile at the mention of rehearsal. Nodding, Jim waved to Claire before he and Toby continued home. "We'll see you tomorrow, Claire!" Toby exclaimed, waving with more energy than his best friend as they continued to walk. 

The rest of their walk went on in silence, then all of a sudden, with a loud smack, Toby looked over to his best friend to find him facepalming rather hard. "I forgot" Jim said in a groan. 

"Forgot what, Jimbo?" Toby asked, concern written all over his face, to which Jim simply pointed towards his house where his mom's car sat outside the garage.