0/10, never again

TW: minor/temporary character death. 
===

The rain had stopped not too long ago. The stalkling now lay in pieces where it had crashed to the ground earlier after Hunter’s fall.

It had taken Toby a few minutes to register what was happening and where they were heading. Then again, they were taking the forest route instead of the main road, but Toby could still tell where they were. He did grow up there after all.

The odd group of changelings and teens walked in silence. Everyone was tense, no doubt a million thoughts running through everyone’s minds, though the trollhunter was quite sure they were all similar to his own. It wasn’t every day someone you knew got struck by lightning or saw them in the state Hunter was in. 

But there was one question that kept bugging Toby. They had mentioned something about Barbara- surely they weren't talking about Jim’s mom were they? Of course not! There just was no way! Jim wouldn’t involve his mom in this kind of thing especially with how dangerous the nature of their entire team was. But the closer they got, the more that the idea of this “Barbara” they had mentioned was in fact the very same Dr. Lake who was also Jim’s mom. 

But if that was the case, wouldn’t Jim have known about all of this too? 

The thought made the trollhunter stop in his tracks, pulling out the amulet that he had found that day in the canals. 

The amulet that Jim led him to. 

And like clockwork everything seemed to have fit together. Jim did know. He knew this entire time, and didn’t tell Toby? At least that explained some stuff… The sense of betrayal swept over the boy, a tight feeling in his chest as he stared absentmindedly at the amulet in his hand. 

“Toby?” Claire suddenly asked, a gentle hand on his shoulder. “You okay?”

“He knew…” Toby whispered, unable to hide the hurt in his voice. “All this time… and he knew…” tears started to well up in the shorter teen’s eyes as he held onto the amulet tightly, anger flaring up in his eyes as he bit down the urge to scream. 

“He?” Claire asked, trying to understand what was going through her friend’s mind. 

“Jim… he knew… and he didn’t tell me…” he wanted to be mad, oh so mad at Jim. but he just couldn’t. Not with the state Jim was in. Not at his brother in everything but blood. There was just no way to get mad at the blue clad teen. 

A sigh escaped the other changeling as he stepped forward to place a hand on the shorter teen. “Mister Domzalski…” he started, voice soft and filled with empathy. “I know it is hard to deal with such emotions. To find out that the person you trusted the most turned out to have been hiding a heavy secret, but do find it in yourself to forgive young Atlas…” 

Toby stared at the green troll for a second, disbelief morphing into every feature of his face as he connected the dots, taking a step back in surprise. “Mister Strickler…?” Toby gasped out, shocked that someone as innocent as his own history teacher would be a shape-shifting troll. Then again, was Strickler even innocent? He was a changeling after all.

In a flash of green, the troll had been replaced by none other than Strickler, a sullen and concerned expression on his face. “Yes… I am a changeling.” the teacher confirmed, taking a step back away from Toby to give the boy some space to process everything. No doubt that his thoughts and memories must have been all over the place after the effects of the Grit-Shaka. 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Toby asked, distrust in his voice as he shook his head slightly in disappointment. 

“Because it isn’t our secret to tell.” Nomura hissed, though not as intimidating in her human form as she crossed her arms. “Those are Hunter’s to tell. Now come on.” she instructed, continuing to walk towards the Lake residence. Without another word, they all started to walk again, following the female changeling’s lead. Though Toby could swear there was guilt in Claire’s eyes.