surprises

“It’s the memories of the past, Tobes…”

Toby couldn’t believe his eyes. Right there, standing against Claire and Barbara was Jim.

Jim. Jimbo. James Lake Jr. It was him. It was really him. In the flesh. 

Tears pricked at the back of the trollhunter’s face as he slowly got up from the couch, unable to believe what he was seeing. "Jim…?" He voiced out quietly taking a step forward before halting and fully taking in his appearance. 

He looked like a mess. His shirt, although seeming to be a little too big, seemed to have been ripped off, his pants in a similar state of being ripped in some places, his torso and right arm were completely wrapped up in bandages with a shade of red seeping through in some places, his hair was a complete bird’s nest, and on top of his head rested two, vaguely familiar horns. 

Wait, horns? That couldn’t be right. Jim doesn’t have horns. 

Slowly, Toby started noticing the oddities on this Jim. The horns, ears, teeth, heck even the height! He looked like Hunter in Toby’s opinion, making him not Jim. But at the same time…

Slowly, Claire and Barbara brought in the guy that looked like a mix between Hunter and Jim, setting him down onto the couch carefully as Toby watched in shock and confusion. 

A pained grunt from not Jim, but also not Hunter, caused both the women by his side to instantly react and help him get to a more comfortable position, Barbara going over his wounds just in case. The living room went quiet after that, Toby not knowing what to do in that situation other than stand there and watch as his mind tried to make sense of everything that had happened in the last couple of hours. 

Slowly, people started to enter the small house. It started with Douxie, followed closely by his cat and a pink haired girl. Right behind them were four others, others he recognised from school and had no clue what they were doing here in his best friend’s house. Others that weren’t supposed to know anything about the supernatural world. But, here they were, Steve, Eli, Mary, and Darci, all wearing black t-shirts and sweats.

Soon after followed Blinky, AARRRGGHH, Draal, and Nomura (who was holding onto the azure troll's arm). No one spoke as they all started to crowd in the living room and hallway, all watching the stranger on the couch in either mild interest, worry, or a hunger for knowledge. 

It took the stranger a few minutes to get into a position where his injuries no longer bothered him as much in order to allow the guy to speak up. Toby stood not too far from the trolls, giving the creepslayerz a questioning gaze. 

Jim cleared his throat lightly, catching everyone’s attention. The tension in the home was rather deafening as he took in a couple of deep breaths, his girlfriend’s hand gently running through the base of his skull soothingly to keep him calm. 

There was no going back. It was now or never and he knew that he had to do this. He had to because if he didn't… then they might just as well go into this completely blind. 

It was time to rip off the bandaid.

"Some of you know me as Jägare the 'Hunter'..." the half-troll started wrapping his fingers around Claire’s hand for comfort. "But most of you know me better as Jim Lake Jr." He finished, making sure to look Toby in the eyes as the taller teen observed his best friend for his reaction. 

Toby just stood there, mouth gaping as he stared at the person claiming to be his best friend. Silence once again took over the entire room, waiting for anyone to speak up or anything to happen.