calm before the storm

Waltolomew Stricklander is one of the most respected members of the Janus order, a secret society of changelings. Many look towards Walt as a sort of leader, after all he was the one who has contributed to their cause the most, and is usually the one leading the charge to gain results. 

He held up many faces, many occupations; teacher, friend, romantic interest, leader, supporter, mentor, the list could go on. For each scenario he would have had a foot ahead of their opponent. He was a very, very cunning man after all. 

However, for the first time in centuries, the changeling held a face of concern, with a thoughtful glint in his eyes as he leaned his elbows on his desk. A cup of tea and empty containers by his side with Nomura seated across from him, awaiting his thoughts. 

It wasn't long since he and Nomura had gone to speak with Jim. The containers, they learned, were filled with muffins, but not just any muffins; homemade traditional English muffins. Along with the muffins was a note, one like what he had received from the boy the first time he was given a container of food. 

"Please consider, I know you'll make the right choice." Was what was written on the piece of parchment.

They both pondered in silence, trying to make up their minds about what had transpired. The boy had a wizard with him, and even involved his mother. There was no doubt that the boy had been truthful about what he said, Strickler knew a lie and Jim hadn't lied to them, he had meant every word. 

"Well, Strickler?" Nomura asked after a while, taking a sip of her own tea. 

"I know we shouldn't even entertain the thought," Strickler started, causing the Asian woman in front of him to raise an eyebrow. "But… something is telling me we should listen to the boy." He finished, risking a glance to his companion. 

Nomura placed her cup down on the best with a sigh. "Truth be told… I was hoping you'd say that." And with that, their minds were made up. 

---

It had been a couple of days since the meeting with the changelings. Jim had acquired permission to bring whoever he saw fit to be brought to Trollmarket, much to Blinky's surprise when he overheard Vendel talking to Jim. 

Never before had Vendel trusted anyone, let alone a human, with such an honour. More questions piled up than answers he was finding. Blinky was determined to find those answers. 

Meanwhile, Jim stood amongst his classmates next to Toby as they neared the museum, the hiding spot of the Killahead Bridge. 

Strickler stood by Nomura, who were acting out their roles of history teacher and museum curator. Although they were really good actors, Jim couldn't help but notice the glances they would give him every now and again, as if watching for any sudden movements. 

"I know contemporary media might lead you to believe European history is full of swords, sorcery, and scandal." Nomura said, waving her hands around to try and add a mysterious effect to what she was saying. "I assure you, the truth is far more interesting, and there's no better place to start than Renaissance Era pottery!" She continued with a really bright smile, earning a collective groan from the students minus Eli who let out a gasp of wonder, and Jim who stood there smiling at her. 

Truth be told, he missed Nomura. He missed her rigorous training, her cackle whenever she got entertained, and especially her genuine smiles when she talked about her passion; the museum and all its displays. He had never known how truly interesting history was until he met Nomura. Yeah, sure he liked history as a class and subject, he was good at it. But, his interest peaked when Nomura would tell him about the more in depth side of the tales.