an experience

It's been almost an hour since Jim went to Strickler's office. Fifteen minutes into Gym class too. Toby was very worried about how his best friend was doing but he had to focus at this very moment so as not to slip and fall from the top of the rope. 

His training had been paying off, he'd lost some pounds, not too much but his endurance and strength got a significant boost. 

All of a sudden, the doors to the gym opened revealing a Jim, fully ready to head into PE. "You're fifteen minutes late, Lake!" Coach Lawrence yelled standing in front of the teen. 

"Sorry, Coach Lawrence… Mr. Strickler needed to talk to me." Jim apologised, rubbing the back of his neck, as Strickler walked in behind Jim, causing the whole class to look at them.

"Coach Lawrence, I do apologise. I needed to have a stern talking to with Lake… he wasn't feeling too well today in class." Strickler said, placing his hands on the teen's shoulder like a worried father. 

Jim looked back at his step-father-to-be with a grateful and confused look which only earned him a small smile from the history teacher. 

"Not feeling well?" The Coach asked with a raised eyebrow examining the teen in front of him. "Hm… he does look a little pale… did you call his mom to pick 'em up?" 

"No Coach, I'd rather not have to worry mom. Besides, I want to have PE today." Jim said with a weak smile. Lawrence always did like how hardworking Lake was, how he always did his best to participate during all his classes. 

"Alright, kid. But don't push it." The Coach warned with a stern look. "We're playing dodgeball, if you're up for it." The rest of the class groaned, knowing how competitive the teams could get, especially the one with Steve in it. 

"Dodgeball would be nice." Jim said with a smile, going to join the rest of the class. Strickler continued to talk to Lawrence about if he could stay and watch the match, being worried for his prize pupil, going to sit at the benches once he was given the okay. 

Jim walked over to Claire and Toby who looked at him worriedly. “Are you sure you’re okay to play, Jim?” Claire asked gently, grabbing hold of his arm in worry.

“yeah, Jimbo, you didn’t look too good earlier.” Toby chimed in, brows furrowed.

Jim gave them a reassuring smile, they worried for him even though they had more pressing matters on their hands. He was so happy that he had them for friends. “I'm fine, I just needed some sleep. Mr. Strickler was kind enough to let me sleep in his office.” he said after letting out a tired sigh. “Didn’t really get much sleep last night…”

Toby and Claire looked at each other with worry, before turning to look back at Jim. “Jim…” Toby started a frown forming on his face. “I think you should sit tonight out.”

At this the taller teen’s face fell. “What why?”

“Because we’re worried about you, Jim!” Claire exclaimed, crossing her arms and giving him a stern glare, one he knew fully well that he couldn't argue with.

A bad feeling started welling up within Jim's gut. Something wasn't feeling right, but wasn't able to get anything out as Coach Lawrence blew his whistle indicating for the students to take their position in the court. Jim was assigned to the team Toby was in, unfortunately Claire was on the opposing team but that was fine. 

With another whistle from the Coach, both teams were sending out balls towards their opponent. It was loud with the squeaking of shoes on polished wooden tiles, the thumping of the balls against students and the ground. 

Jim dodged an incoming ball easily, Toby doing the same before grabbing a ball from the ground next to him and throwing it with terrifying precision, hitting Logan's side, getting him out of the game. It wasn't long until Jim's team was already on the losing side, with only him and Toby left on the field while their opponents dwarfed their numbers by three times.