a birthday curse

October 10th 2016. 

Toby woke up to the sound of his alarm beeping, a smile on his face as he remembered what day it was. It was a very, very special day for his best friend, today was Jimbo's big 16th birthday after all! 

Jumping out of bed, the stout boy quickly completed his morning routine. Rushing around his room to find the binder he had worked on for the last year to allow his best friend to test drive a vespa. He had already gotten halfway down the stairs when he remembered that his best friend wasn't in the state, and was instead in a hospital, all alone. 

--- 

Jim had been training in the forge with Draal and Nomura when he had suddenly been called upon by the elder council. 

To say he was surprised would have been an understatement. It's not everyday you get tackled to the ground by the ghost of your sister in arms the moment you enter the Void. And that was exactly what had happened. 

"Skinny!" Deya exclaimed excitedly as they rolled around for a bit, each trying to pin the other down, only for the younger to groan from underneath his predecessor the moment he was pinned down. 

"Deya? What's the matter?" Jim asked, slowly wriggling his way out from underneath the gutter troll only to be picked from his position by his arms giving the teen a tight squeeze. 

"You're sixteen again! What a milestone!" She exclaimed happily with a hearty laugh as she set the boy back down, earning him a short hair ruffle soon after. 

"A momentous occasion indeed!" Araknak chimed in, his apparition forming as he stepped closer to the boy, followed closely by the other trollhunters all giving him congratulations and good wishes to the once trollhunter. 

By the time Jim had returned to the forge, it had been empty, but that didn't deter his smile as he walked right out, having already set up a training session with the other teens later that day in the new forge. 

The moment he entered the sewers, his phone rang from within his pocket. Quickly fumbling with the device, Jim took a look at the caller only to find it to be his mom. A smile formed on his face as he answered, continuing his walk towards the entrance of the tunnel Draal made to his home in the sewers.

"Hey, mom." 

"Oh, Jim! I'm so glad you picked up!" 

"Is something the matter?" He asked, a small hint of concern coming through the line, only for him to hear a light chuckling from the other side of the call.

"Nothing's wrong, kiddo. I just wanted to tell you that I have an early shift today at the hospital… sorry we couldn't have breakfast, but I promise, we'll spend some time together later." 

A small sad smile formed on the half-troll's face. He had wanted to see his mom that day before she went to work but it seemed like that wouldn't be the case. 

"It's okay, mom… I know you're busy today…" he said in a hushed tone, his pace slowing down to a calm stroll in the sewers. 

A yell of some sort came from Barbara's side of the line before the woman sighed tiredly. "I have to go now… Happy birthday, kiddo. I love you!" She said lovingly. 

"Love you too, mom." The teen said before he heard the sound of the dial. With a sigh, and extra time to kill, he decided to take a walk around town, under the protection of the sewers. 

Everything had been quiet for a while, the sound of dripping water and scurrying rats no longer making him uncomfortable from the amount of times he had crossed the underground passages.