setting things in motion

“Archie!” 

This time, it was the three magical beings that were surprised by the sudden exclamation from Steve. They watched as the blonde lunged forward, holding the cat dragon in a hug. 

“Man! I thought we wouldn't see you again after we heard you were trapped in Hong Kong!” Steve exclaimed, causing an eyebrow to raise from Strickler while Claire only looked dumbfounded as Archie attempted to get out of the Blonde’s grasp with a hiss. 

Claire took a hesitant step forward, eyes wide and hopeful. “You… remember?” she asked quietly, earning her a smile from the blonde. 

“Of course I do! I am THE Palchuck after all!” he laughed, dropping his hands to his hips, letting go of the cat who ran to sit on the table next to Strickler heaving for air and calming his fight or flight instincts just so he could talk again before adjusting his glasses.

His exclamation earned the teen confused looks from the others in the room. This time Mary was the one to speak up. “Okay, seriously, what is going on?” she asked, slightly panicked, Darci nodding in concern from next to her best friend. 

“The world needs our help?” Darci quipped, crossing her arms in an attempt to keep herself calm as she gripped onto her forearm as tight as she could. “What does that even mean?” 

“This isn't a very funny prank, Claire, Mr. Strickler.” Eli added in with a frown. 

"This isn't a prank." Archie spoke up once again standing up on the table. "This is all most definitely real, Steve and Claire just know some things that you do not as of yet." 

"As nice as it is to see you remember, Steve," Strickler started, straightening his posture to face the teens as he motioned for them to get closer. "We still must inform you of our current situation. Now choose a weapon. " He said, motioning towards the rows of weaponry on display. 

Catching her breath, Claire walked over to Strickler's side once again as she watched each of the four teens go over to the rack to choose a weapon. Steve, predictably, chose a battle axe, Eli picked up a thin broad sword, Darci levitating towards the mace, and Mary choosing the pair of daggers. 

"Woah, woah!" Darci exclaimed as she hefted up the somewhat heavy mace. "These are real?!" 

"As real as they'll get." The cat dragon said grooming one of his paws as he watched the teens- minus Claire and Steve- fumble about trying to adjust themselves to their chosen weapons. 

"Okaaaay…" Mary dragged out, looking at the daggers she held in her hands. "Why are you giving us weapons? Actually, scratch that, why do you even HAVE weapons?" The diva practically yelled, gesturing at the daggers she held. 

"They are pretty cool though." Eli said, struggling to lift up his sword, only managing to do so with Steve’s help. 

"You are much better off with a Serrator, pepperbuddy." The blonde said with a chuckle, earning him a confused look from the smaller teen. 

"We're giving you weapons to defend yourselves with." Strickler informed them,  handing his phone to the cat who proceeded to text. 

"Uh, defend ourselves from what?" Darci asked, swallowing the forming lump in her throat at the implication that they would be in danger. 

"Look," Claire started, taking in a deep breath as she walked over to the teens. "There's a lot more going around in Arcadia than you might think. Even more than what you've already seen Eli." 

"We wouldn't be asking any of you to do this if it truly wasn't such a big thing." Strickler said, standing in front of the group with his hands clasped together tightly as he spoke with a heavy tone.