Chapter Four

I'm beginning to question mine and Matt's friendship, it no longer feels like a friendship; the past few weeks our bond has been stretching farther and I'm driving myself insane with all these thoughts and emotions, if all what I am feeling were an ocean... I would be drowning.

"Mello," Says Quillish Wammy whom runs the Wammy house, "I would like to talk to you."

Matt tries not to laugh, knowing that whenever Wammy wants to have a discussion it is never quick. Mello exhales exaggeratedly as he closes his textbooks and follows Wammy's lead to his office.

Quillish Wammy takes a seat in his comfy-looking, leather green, tufted chair, clasping his hands together. Mello sits from the opposite side of him, trying to get cosy in an old wooden-legged chair that squeaks at each movement you make. 

"So," Wammy begins, "I've been monitoring everyone's progress here at the Wammy house and your progress captured my eye. You've been putting an extreme amount of effort into your studies which somehow took me by surprise as you've received the highest reputation throughout the institution this year against orphans of your age. You've always had a negative attitude Mello," he stops for a moment, scanning Mello's eyes, "but I'm very pleased with how you're doing."

"Thank you, sir. It's important for me to become L's successor, or else, quite frankly, I don't see the point of me being here." Mello responds, slouched on the uncomfortable chair.

"Being on Earth or at the institution?" 

Mello sniggers, "Well, I was indicating more towards the institution. However, Earth is questionable."

"Mhm, I see. Well, you're here for a reason Mello, just like every other child here; you're all especially gifted."