Chapter Twelve

He flounces into the room, carelessly slamming the door behind him. Matt could instantly tell that whatever Quillish had said, Mello wasn't content. Mello kneels down grabbing a grey duffel back from under his bed.

"What happened?" Matt asks worryingly.

Mello heads towards their closet, hastily chucking his clothing onto his bed with a mass of chocolate bars. "I'm leaving, Matt. He's going to separate us, Near told him what he saw." Mello shuts the closet door, thrusting his clothing into the duffel bag.

Matt gets off his bed, shoving his hands into his pockets as he sits on Mello's bed where he packs his belongings. "So your resolution to this is to just leave? That's being egocentric. I mean, have you forgotten about your only friend?" His tone was surprisingly neutral.

He finishes packing, zipping up the grey bag. He stands, looking into Matt's sorrowful emerald eyes. He sees that Matt is obviously distressed by this solution. "You've always known how much I've despised being here. I've relied on you so much. I would always thoughtlessly dump all my issues on you, expecting you to still understand. I've only been an anchor to you Matt, forever holding you down."

Matt looks away, as tears begin to form. Never has he expressed much emotion around Mello even though his feelings towards him are profound. "You had no one else to share your issues with, Mello. It was all within reason." He sighs.

Mello picks up his duffel bag bag, heading towards the door. "I remember that day, when we were six years old and that Katashi kid deliberately pushed me to the ground for no reason..." Mello stops at the door, his hand rested on the handle as he focuses his attention on Matt. "I didn't even know you, but you came over and helped me up. You were never an anchor to me, Mello." Matt looks up to Mello with a single teardrop streaming down his face. It looked like a crystal coursing down his right cheek. Mello gulps, opening the door. "I love you." he murmurs.