A king's promise

(Zindelo's P.O.V.)
I was laying on the ground because the prison bed was to soft for me. Serving in the war for years I didnt havr a bed, so when I came back every matras is to soft. It feels like Im going to fall straight through it. Laying on the ground is the only way I could sleep. "Zindelo! Visitors!" Some guard said on the other side of the door. I stood up from the ground and sat on the bed as I watched Chester Campbell and two officers walk into my cell. "Hello everyone. How nice of you to come. I'm glad you're here today, I'm glad you're here today, Give a cheer! Cause I'm glad that you're here today!" I said singing the children song I used to sing when I was around 6 years old together with my classmates when we entered the classroom. I watched the men give me disgusting and annoyed looks. Chester scoffed and shook his head "you're not fucking normal". I smirked "I'll take that as a compliment. Cause normal is boring as hell. And believe me, I've seen hell" I told him and showed my teeth after smirking at him. "So why are you here?" I asked him. One of the officers beside Campbell showed a pair of handcuffs. "They pulled my hanging back havent they?" I asked them. "The earlier you are hung. The better this city will be" Chester replied harsh. I sighed before putting my wrists forward. The officer roughly grabbed me and put the cuffs on. The other officer stepped forward aswell to grab my shoulder aswell. The two pushed forward and I followed Mr Campbell to the place I would be hung. "So we're here again" I said bearily audible. The noose was already hanging from the ceiling and was slightly moving because of the draft thag was flowing through the room. The birds where chirping outside and I could hear the chuch bells ringing. A priester stood in the corner. "While its nice seeing you again, father. I must admit, your pressence will not help. Cause you see god and I, well we dont get along. But the Devil and I we get along perfectly fine" I told him and smirked as I saw him sign the cross. "Has that ever worked?" I questioned him as I was pulled to the noose. I was pushed in front of the noose and Campbell walked up to me. He grabbed the noose before pulling it over my head and tightening around my neck. The rope stinging my neck as it was pulled even tighter. "Zindelo Roman Shelby you are here to be hung by your sinfull deeds" the priester began preaching. I rolled my eyes at him and soon enough cut him off. "Oh Im not hanging today. I'll walk free and there is nothing any of you coppers can do about that". Chester chuckled "you're going to hang tonight and you'll go straight to hell". "I beg to differ" I told him with a sly smirk, "and what makes you think that?" He challenged. I moved my eyes behind him to a person running inside. "Why dont you ask him?" I told him. The person was dressed in sharp clothing and was holding an envelope. He was out of breath as he handed the envelope to Mr Campbell. I watched him roughly take the envelope and tearing it open before reading it. I watched as he read the letter and his eyebrows furrowed together in concentration. "Come on, Campbell. Tell everyone what it says?" I challenge him with a sly smirk. His eyes snapped to mine with anger. He shook his head annoyed before taking the noose from around my neck. "Aw much better" I said cracking the bones from my neck. "What are you doing? He's a criminal" one of the officers said loudly while pointing at me. "This letter states otherwise" Chester said with anger but he held the emotion inside. The officer looked confused. "Its a letter from the King. His majesty has sent out an order that Mr Shelby will not be hung for his crimes due to fact that he is the person that got his Majesty succesfully back home to England so he could rule the kingdom" Chester said waving the letter. I remember the time in the war when I first met him, back then he was Prince Albert. Skinny little thing he was. But now he is King of England and he still remembered his promise. I had sacrificed myself to get captured instead of him and the rest of our comrads. Albert knew I was going to get tortured so he promised me that if I make it out alive and find my way home. He will make sure that my life will be spared if I ever come for trial to be hung. No matter what crime I had commited. Tommy had succesfully gotten the information about my trail to my dear friend Albert. "Seems like the King makes promises for the Devil" I said to the priester as I walked out the building towards my freedom.

Published: 18th of november 2021