Chapter Eight

"The tesseract has awakened. It is on a little world, a human world. They would wield its power...but our ally knows its workings as they never will." a being called the Other holds out a scepter with a blue energy near the tip to the ally, who looks somewhat familiar, "He is ready to lead and our force, our Chitauri, will follow. The world will be his. The universe, yours. And the humans, what can they do but burn?"

...

At a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility, agents and scientists evacuate by helicopter and vehicle.

"All personnel, evacuation order has been confirmed. Proceed to your designated vehicle-"

A helicopter flies in and lands near Agent Phil Coulson, who still has his cool shades on. An agent named Maria Hill gets out of the helicopter with Nick Fury.

"How bad is it?" Nick asks.

Phil takes off his sunglasses, "That's the problem, sir. We don't know."

...

They enter the facility, taking the elevator down before making their way to the lab area.

"Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hours ago." Coulson reports.

"NASA didn't authorize Selvig to go to test phase." Fury told him.

"He wasn't testing it. He wasn't even in the room. Dr. Green was actually observing it over Zoom. I told her to take the week off, but, well...Spontaneous event."

"It just turned itself on?" Hill asks.

"Are we sure Dr. Green didn't turn it on herself?" Fury adds.

"We've been running tests on her newfound powers, sir. She wouldn't be able to turn that cube on from all the way in Stuttgart, Germany."

"Where are the energy levels now?" Fury asks.

"Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, Dr. Green ordered evac." Coulson reports.

"How long to get everyone out?"

"Campus should be clear in the next half hour."

"Do better." Fury told him as Coulson nods, walking off.

...

Fury and Hill continue walking down deeper into the facility.

"Sir, evacuation may be futile." Hill told him.

"We should tell them to go back to sleep?" Fury asks.

"If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance."

"I need you to make sure the Phase 2 prototypes are shipped out."

"Sir, is that really a priority right now?" Hill asks.

"Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech below. Every piece of Phase 2 on a truck and gone." Fury orders.

"Yes sir." Hill walks to some agents, "With me." the trio walk off.

Nick enters the radiation facility housing the Tesseract, the area being cluttered with machines as people were evacuating, "Doctors, talk to me."

Erik appears from behind a CMS machine, looking concerned. The Tesseract was glowing unusually brighter, a flare of blue shooting out from it and hitting things at random, "Director."

"Is there anything we know for certain?" Fury asks.

"The Tesseract is misbehaving." Erik walks over to him.