Chapter Fourteen

Amora walks out onto the balcony as Black Widow walked up to the CMS machine.

"The scepter..." Selvig spoke up as he looked over the edge.

"Doctor."

"Loki's scepter. The energy. The Tesseract can't fight, but you can't protect against yourself."

"It's not your fault. You didn't know what you were doing."

"Actually, I think I did. I built in a safety to cut the power source."

"Loki's scepter."

"It may be able to close the portal." Selvig looks down and spots Amora picking the scepter up, "And I'm looking right at it."

...

Thor rides on top of a chariot, smacking several riders with his hammer. He takes the reins as a Chitauri leviathan crashes through a building, Iron Man flying next to it and aiming his laser booster.

"Sir, we will lose power before we penetrate that shell." J.A.R.V.I.S. points out.

Iron Man quickly flies ahead of the leviathan before turning around and flying directly at it, "J.A.R.V.I.S....you ever hear the tale of Jonah?"

"I wouldn't consider him a role model."

Iron Man unleashes every arsenal on his suit as he flies into the leviathan's mouth, bursting out the other end as the monster collapses. He lands on the street and goes to stand up, but something hits him. A small band of Chitauri soldiers cautiously step toward him, holding their rifles.

Back on the rooftop, Hawkeye fires his last arrow before he starts to use his bow as a staff to knock soldiers down. He quickly takes an arrow out of a dead Chitauri soldier and pushes a button. As the flying chariots fire at him, he dives off the building he was on before aiming his grappling arrow up into the side of the building. Gaining enough momentum, he swings himself into a building, glass shattering.

The Hulk beats up some Chitauri soldiers before getting hit by one of the flying chariots. He looks up to see many of them, roaring as they begin to fire energy blasts at him.

...
                                                                            A pilot sits in his cockpit, listening.

"Director Fury is no longer in command. Override order 7-Alpha-1-1." a world security councilwoman commands.

"7-Alpha-1-1, confirmed. We're go for takeoff."

...

Hill turns to Fury, "Sir, we have a bird in motion! Anyone on the deck, we have a rogue bird. We need to shut it down! Repeat, takeoff is not authorized."

Fury rushes out to dect, holding an RPG. He aims and fires, hitting the rail end of the jet that was taking off. It skids off towards the edge, the pilot unharmed. Suddenly, another jet flies off, Fury pulling out his gun, before realizing he can't do anything about it. He heads back to the bridge before communicating with Tony, "Stark, do you hear me? You have a missile headed straight for the city."

"How long?" Iron Man asks before getting hit in the helmet.

"Three minutes, max. The payload will wipe out Midtown."

"J.A.R.V.I.S., put everything we got into the thrusters."

"I just did."

Iron Man blasts some Chitauri away before flying up into the sky.

The pilot arrives to Manhattan and pushes a button, the nuke flying out of the jet and heading towards the city, "Package is sent. Detonation in 2 minutes, 30 seconds, mark."                                                                                                   ...                     
                                                                            Captain America and Thor battle side by side until Cap gets shot in the gut by an energy blast. Thor blocks with his hammer before sending a broken car towards the Chitauri, crushing them. He then throws Mjolnir at some more before helping Captain America stand up.                                                                                          
"Are you ready for another bout?" Thor asks.