Chapter 4: DRAKE

"There isn't much that could give us answers," I reply, scanning through the board, "We may claim them as monsters that have no emotions, but there is anger and a lot of hate. The only explanation I could come up with is that they want revenge."

I turn to stare at Tim.

I watch him think for a moment before a long sigh breathed through my lips.

I knew the Lord wanted to waste my time, provoke me to confront his absurd game of pestering me, or maybe he's planning something like he always does.

But he just had to drag everyone in it. His son, if I'm being specific.

However, I have no time for childish behavior. I still have a lot of paperwork to do before the Blood Moon and time isn't stopping for anyone.

And Tim isn't the most helpful lab partner I've come to meet, but I can't complain since he's the Lord's son.

Even if I'm a Royal, my statue doesn't matter much when I crossed the borders of my father's lands.

Here I'm just another vampire living under the Lord's authority.

"We could utilize their behaviors, maybe see if it could connect dots. If not, then our time has been perfectly wasted," I hiss, shaking off my lab coat and hanging it over my chair.

"You and my father don't seem to be on good terms," he points out.

"I don't know why he's behaving like a childish fifteen-year-old, but I'm not responding to it. I still have a lot of paperwork to do, so could we wrap it up?" It didn't come out as a question and both of us knew it, as he nodded his head.

"Will you be branding Rosey?" he asks, walking beside me to head back to my office.

"Branding her?" I question, not at all interested in this subject.

I never knew why others brand their pets, but I haven't lost my sanity to do that as well. I tend to ignore the subject.

"Yeah, you know, claim her with a burn mark."

"I know what it is," I grit, "I won't be branding my pet. It's stupid in my opinion."

"It's fun, man. To see them chained, then fight and then scream, it just stirs the excitement, y'know."

"No, I actually don't."

He stayed quiet after my flat response, both of us turning a corner.

I'm just grateful I don't have to spend hours there, as it isn't a place I'm quite fond of. Not only does it stink, but I have to watch lives be destroyed so that they could do the Lord's dirty work.

I won't mingle, but I'm planning on moving. Where, I haven't figured out.

Home is out of the question.

"When did you get Rosey?"

I trail my eyes away from the old paintings to stare down at Tim. He was at least a head shorter than me.

"It's going for six," I reply, wanting this conversation to end.

"When I heard you bought your first pet, I was quite surprised. You lived over a century here at my father's Castle but never considered buying a pet. You said something like... Ah! A waste of money. Why the sudden change?" he asks.

I simply shrug.

Many don't believe me when I reply to that question of I don't know, but I honestly don't know my reasoning for the sudden interest to have a pet.

Maybe a change was good.

Yeah...

"I guess I thought a change could be good," I said after a short silence.