Chapter 23: ROSEY

The first knock wasn't who Master expected but instead was greeted with a slave that had his drink he ordered.

Master wasn't bothered with the fact that the man that was supposed to fetch him was late, but instead enjoyed his drink and injected me with Wolftoxin.

I sat on the armchair on the left of the coffee table, waiting patiently for the effects to pass by, while sucking on the straw.

I was thirsty as well, so I decided to drink the juice.

As my mind cleared from the fog in my head and slightly hazed sight, I blink harshly to rid my dazed state.

It wasn't a second after gaining my senses again and happily say that I'm fine now when there was a second knock.

I straighten my back and stared at the door on my right.

I watch Master approach the door and open it with a disinterested expression.

I couldn't see who was there as Master blocked most of my view, but confusion stirred when I saw a pair of skinny legs behind buffed legs.

I wonder who that could be.

Master did mention that a man that would join him at the Blood Collection would be taking his pet along with him.

Maybe we could hang out while Master and the other man sat patiently for the Blood Collection to pass.

Yet, truth be told, that would probably never happen.

I sigh, rise from the chair, and quickly scamper over to my closet to grab a thicker, warmer jacket.

I'm afraid that Master might be right that today may be colder than the others.

Winter was passing, so it made sure to leave an imprint before fading away.

Today did feel chillier.

***

"I think you might be right, buddy. The Lord has been short of ever since we succeeded with the trial. I'm still concerned with the whole ideal of "You breed hybrids, I control them and I'll be feared and stronger" plan he got going. It's a bit suspicious, don't you think?" Ric asks, fisting his cheek and resting his elbow onto the armrest of his seat.

"Yes, childish as well. I do not know where he got this ludicrous idea that he could ever succeed in topping over my father. My father encountered many of such fools, but I never expected him to go this far. Plus, breeding hybrids are illegal, and that is why I wish to leave as soon as possible. I may not be able to leave for another three months or so because of the contract I had signed with the buffoon, but the moment I'm free from his claws, I'm going," Master replied, his brows furrowed in irritation as he examined the crowd with concentration.

"Will you take the girl with you?" Ric casually asks, catching my attention as I stared with a short breath at Master.

"Of course, Ric. I didn't buy her to toss her away when I move," Master flatly replied, not much care put into his words.

Yet, the thought that I'm something he has to take with him because he feels that I'm dependent on him made my mood dull.

"Of course not," Ric chuckled, "Where will you be heading though?"

I sigh, concentrating my attention on something else rather than their conversations.

It wasn't boring to listen to, but I need a break from the horrible truth behind all this experimenting.

It was heartbreaking.

I scan the area and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

The markets aren't as busy since tomorrow night would be the Blood Moon, everyone already taking safety and probably hiding.