Chapter 21: ROSEY

"I still don't understand, Granny."

She sighed, gently pulled at a rose, and cut the stem with the scissors.

She slipped the rose into a basket full of flowers, the white rose standing out among the others.

She rose to her feet and walked forward, my feet trying to catch up with her long strides.

She may be old, but she walks hella fast for someone this damn old!

"You will someday, snowflake. You will someday," she reassured, her eyes becoming softer when she smiled down at me.

I breathe out a breath, "Granny, why do you call me snowflake?"

"You've asked this before, snowflake. I've answered you back then," she explains, her dress waving around her angles like a bell when she gracefully swiveled around on her toes to sink to the ground to cut another lovely flower.

Her dress flooded around her, the sea-blue beautiful as it complimented her blue orbs.

"I know," I said, squatting beside her and wrapping my arms around my knees while watching her cutting the flowers and slipping them along the others into the basket, "But I forgot what you said. I was tired that day, too."

She giggled, "Very well. Now, do you remember the beauty of a snowflake?"

I pout in thought, before nodding furiously, "Yes! They're so lovely."

"Yes, they are. Do you remember just how easily they melt?"

"Hm-hm, yes, it was sad because I had to catch another one again every five seconds!"

She nods in agreement, her eyes showing that she's remembering the memory. At that, a smile graced her lips yet again.

"Did they feel soft?" she asks.

"I...don't remember, Granny. I don't recall them feeling soft. From what I know they felt like nothing."

"No, snowflake, they felt soft. Cold, too."

I frown and pursed my lips, "Oh."

"Yes, now, where were we?"

"Why does Granny call me snowflake?" I beam at her, grinning from ear to ear.

She patted my cheek before strolling forward, my short legs kicking after her.

"Ah, yes. Well, the wind--"

"What abo--"

"Let me finish, snowflake."

"Sorry."

Her displeased frown turned soft and her tender smile that made my chest warm up curled her small, tiny lips.

"Now picture the wind as someone that would take care of you and the sun someone that will hurt you," she started, dropping into a kneel to cut flowers. I joined her.

I immediately thought of Granny as the wind and father as the sun.

Bloody frog with his hawk nose and addictive drinking!

I stomp my foot and glared at the flower Granny pulled at.

"Have you pictured it, snowflake?" she asks, her eyes turning to me with a motherly gaze.

My glare softened and I grinned, "Yes! Granny as the wind and father as the sun."

Her eyes turned sad and her smile upside down, "Ah, yes. Of course."

"What about it though?" I push, raising a brow at her.

"Now remember, snowflake, a snowflake is beautiful and tender, but just as it is beautiful and tender, is it meltable and breakable."

"How is it breakable?" I ask, staring at her with confusion.

"Let me explain and then you may ask questions, snowflake," she said softly, smiling at me before standing up again.

I sigh, trotting at her heels.

"Now the wind. The wind grazes the snowflake across the land, its intentions beautiful and carrying it to places so that others could also see. The sun, however, wishes to melt the ice and break it to nothing but water."

I'm not catching on, but Granny asked that I kept quiet till the end, so I bit down on my tongue and nodded to encourage her to continue.

"Now picture yourself as the snowflake, me as the wind, and your father as the sun," she explained.

I did, picturing it all in my head but not quite sure what to do with it.

"Snowflake, you are as tender and beautiful as a snowflake. The people that would encourage you and love you, you will shine- and glow for. However, my dear snowflake, the fact that you are tender and beautiful, makes you easily breakily. People like the sun would try to melt you down and shame you to nothing but a tearful, sad water drop. But then again, water becomes ice with a little help. There will always be people out there that would help you rise again. Always," she explains, her last word dripping to a whisper and her lips pursed, her eyes prickling.

"Always?"

"Always, snowflake. Always."

***

I startle awake, my lids fluttering when the tiredness weighs down on my eyes.

I blink harshly, before slowly pushing myself back, away from the desk, and scanning the small space around me, before focusing back on my finished project.

I smile tiredly.

I run my hand across the drawing, my lips tucked down, and my heart squeezing in pain.

I will see you again, even if it is in death when we meet again.

×××

Another short update for my loyal readers❤❤

It is very short, I know, but I need to study for the upcoming test this Monday❤❤❤

Thank you to those that read my work❤❤❤❤

I appreciate all of you❤❤❤❤❤