Chapter 19: DRAKE

I walk wordlessly beside Erick and cut a turn with him.

"So it wasn't you who scared her?" he asked again, his brow raising suspiciously.

I glance at him from the corner of my eye and sigh, "I am sure, my Prince."

He winces beside me, "How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?"

"You are a Prince by birth," I point out, "And I shall respect that."

"Then I shall call you my Lord," he fires back.

I shrug, "If you wish."

He didn't need to address me as such, but I wasn't in the mood to argue about it.

Rosey ran because she was overwhelmed by the fact that her brother, I could only presume was dear to her, was dead.

I may not have been sensitive on the topic, so it was understandable she wanted out.

The only thing that caused a stinging annoyance was when I reached out to her and grabbed her.

I still don't know why I did.

Maybe it was guilt? It seemed reasonable.

"I just pray my brother doesn't get to her first," he said.

I look down at him in question.

"Who?"

"Nathan, you know, the reckless brother who likes stirring trouble," he explains.

Ah, that one the Lord couldn't stop blubbering about.

I sigh, closing my eyes to relieve the sourness in them.

"I pity the poor girl if he does. Nothing ends well when it involves him," he hisses, a displeased frown tucking at his brows, "He does enjoy his fun when it involves humans or anyone in particular."

"Did you hear about the girl he brought? I thought for a second that she was a vampire, till I heard her heartbeat. The girl is so pale, I thought she was ill when I figured out she was mortal. She didn't seem afraid for someone who was just bought by a vampire. Instead, she seemed calm and terrifyingly nice."

"Oh," I reply, scanning the hall we're passing on the moment.

No sign of her.

Another sigh.

"I also didn't spot any fang marks, so I guessed he didn't get to it yet, but I find that strange considering my brother likes playing the dick role of being a vampire."

I scowl, "That sounds like Tim."

"It does, doesn't it?"

I didn't answer.

We were well aware of the answer, and I didn't want to waste my breath on answering an obvious answer.

I straighten my spine and raised my chin.

The bastard isn't allowed near me nor Rosey as long as I'm alive and living in this miserable place. But when I do go to the labs, I guess I have no choice but to endure his annoying presence.

I grit my teeth.

I may not have been as angry as I'm seething at this mere moment, however, what he has done has ruined any respect I had for him.

Bloody idiot thinks he can do as he pleases because he's a Prince.

Life does miracles these days to prove such people wrong.

It would be thrilling to watch him fall. Spiffing, indeed.

And then, I froze.

Footsteps. Light-feathered and clacking footsteps were approaching our direction.