Chapter 4

Steve woke up and got dressed. Today was the day he had his operation. He finished getting prepared and walked out of his tent. He noticed Natasha was already outside. She was wearing a white deep v-neck and a bow blouse and a red pencil skirt just above the knees and strappy black shoes. Her hair was curled and loose making it blow behind her as the wind blew in it. She was arguing with Peggy who was wearing her British army uniform. She didn't even notice Steve.

"You don't understand!" Peggy said. "No! You don't understand!" Natasha argued. "That place was literal hell. I spent fifteen years in that psych ward. I almost died trying to get that briefcase and I can not go back." Natasha yelled at her. "I thought that Erskine would be able to duplicate the serum," Natasha whispered. "I know. But this is just a backup plan. We know that the Red Room has more and that John Schmidt is after it. If we get it first we-" Peggy was cut off by Natasha. 

"We what? We live happily ever after? That's bullshit, Peggy!" Natasha shouted. "Do you know what they did to me in there?" Natasha whispered. "Not just the physical but the psychological torture. If they find me..." She shuddered a tear slipped down her cheek. Peggy hugged Natasha. "They won't find you," Peggy promised. Peggy pulled away. Natasha folded her hands under her nose and breathed deeply. Peggy rubbed her arm and walked away.

Natasha crossed her arms and stared at the landscape. Steve slowly walked toward Natasha and tapped her on the shoulder. "Hello, Natasha," Steve said. Natasha turned around. Her eyes were wet and her nose was pink. Which didn't go unnoticed by Steve. "You okay?" He asked. Natasha quickly wiped away her tears. 

"Y-yeah I'm fine," Natasha muttered. "Really because I overheard what Peggy said," Steve explained. "It's fine." Natasha waved her hand dismissively. Steve wasn't good at many things but he knew how to read people and he knew Natasha didn't want to talk about it so he decided not to push the subject. "I knew you would come." Steve smiled at looked up at her. Natasha smiled. "I wouldn't miss it for the world." She chuckled as she lead him to a 1940 black Chevrolet sedan.

Steve was with Natasha in the backseat of the car, staring out at the familiar streets."I know this neighbourhood. I got beat up in that alley...and that vacant lot...and behind that diner." Steve said slowly looking at the landmarks. "Did you have something against running away?" Natasha asked.

"You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, you push back...they can only tell you 'no' for so long, right?" Steve answered. "I know a bit what that's like. To have every door shut in your face." Natasha said. "Who'd shut a door on you? I figure guys would be climbing over each other to hold them open." Steve thought. "Depends on which door you're trying to go through," Natasha replied. "I guess I don't know why a beautiful...agent...why would she want to join the army anyhow? She could do whatever she wanted."

"You don't know an awful lot about women, do you?" Natasha asked. "You got me all wrong, Agent Romanoff. I don't know anything about women." Steve said seemingly smooth. "This is probably the longest conversation I've ever had with one." He said beat. Natasha was laughing just the teeniest bit. "I wish I were kidding. Think about it, I don't have any money, so I can't take them to dinner. I'm...kinda short. That doesn't help. Ever. And I don't dance, so that's the table." Steve continued. Natasha chuckled.

"You must have at least danced." She exclaimed. "Standing on my mom's feet when I was seven. I don't know. Asking a girl to dance seemed so terrifying, and then in the last few years, it didn't seem so important. I figure I might as well wait." Steve explained. "For what?" Natasha asked. He shrugged, looking out the window. "The right partner," Steve answered. He didn't see that it affected her. The car slowed down. "This is it."

The sedan pulled up to an antique store. Two bums loll near the entrance. Two men in suits stand near a row of cars. Steve climb out, confused. "Why did we stop here? " Steve asked. "I love a bargain. I'm redecorating." Natasha said as they walked inside. The bell over the door rang as they opened the door. The antique store owner nodded at Natasha and Steve. "Lovely weather this morning, isn't it?" The owner suggested. "Yes, but I always carry an umbrella," Natasha replied. "I suppose you can't be too careful." The store owner responded. "Best to be prepared for a shift in the wind."