Chapter 25

"Johann Schmidt belongs in a bughouse. He thinks he's a god, and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it, starting with the USA." Phillips stated, gesturing at the map pinned in front.

"Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capabilities." Steve chimed in. "He gets across the Atlantic, he will wipe out the entire Easters Seaboard in an hour."

Peggy sighed a breath.

"How much time we got?" Jones asked.

"According to my new best friend, under 24 hours," Phillips answered.

"Where is he now?" Falsworth asked.

"HYDRA's last base is here." The Colonel pointed at a photo of what looked like a mountain. "In the Alps, 500 feet below the surface."

"I'm guessing that's probably where they're keeping Agent Romanoff and Barnes too," Peggy said.

The soldiers glanced at the photo. All observed and tried hard to devise a plan for them to infiltrate the place.

One of the men asked. "So what are we supposed to do? I mean, it's not like we can just knock on the front door."

They looked at one another in worry, no one knew the answer to his question.

"Why not?"

Their attention was slowly set on the Captain. He was seated at the far end of the table, currently holding the photo in his hands.

"That's exactly what we're going to do." He stated.

After that, the Captain took the liberty of taking control of the mission. He discussed the plans, letting some of the men speak up with some suggestions of their own. It took them about an hour to finish. Steve dismissed them afterward.

Once all the men were out preparing for their last mission in the next seven hours, Steve heard a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" He asked.

The voice was hesitant to answer. "It's umm... Howard."

Oh right, America's Casanova. "Come in."

The door opened to show Howard wearing a suit minus the coat itself. He adjusted his collar, letting out a grimace. "Man, how can you guys stand to wear these? It's hot!" he exclaimed.

Steve fought the urge to roll his eyes. "What do you want?"

"I came to talk to you about the plan." He said, eyes darting around the room to take notice of it.

"I already know what to do. We've discussed it five times now."

"Sorry, I'm just-I'm nervous."

He finally looked up to meet his gaze, mirroring the same worried expression on his. "We all are."

"I'm just nervous to put her in danger again."

Steve raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure nothing's going on between you?"

Howard laughed like the idea was ridiculous. Well, it is ridiculous. "Yes, Capsicle. I assure you nothing is going on between us. She hates me. Besides, I told you that I already have my own gal, right?"

"It just sounds like you do." He sighed. "This is still a little bit hard for me to take in, you know."

"I know, and I'm sorry. This is all my fault."

"You said she hates you but you two are friends. Care to explain that?" Steve suddenly asked.

Howard shrugged. "We're not friend friends but we're getting there. I'm pretty much the guy in the chair. I push the buttons. I'm the buttons guy."