Chapter 5

Everything happened so fast.

After the gunshot, the man bolted out the door. But not before grabbing a vial of super-soldier serum.

The next thing Natasha knew she was on the ground beside Erskine's body and the doctor, trying to put pressure on his bullet wound while other nurses took out the medical supplies from behind them. Tears were streaming down her cheeks. Steve, without question, ran after him.

Natasha stared at Erskine's body, tears seeping from her eyes. Erskine was like a father to her. She watched the doctors trying to revive him. When the defibrillators weren't working, they talked about bringing him to the hospital, but unfortunately, Erskine stopped breathing and flat-lined.

Natasha stared at the moment in shock. Anger surged through her. She had to find this man. She needed to. She refused to lose two people in one day without finding their killer.

 But before she could reach the door Peggy grabbed her arm. "Where are you going?" She hissed. Natasha stared at her in shock. "Where do you think?" She replied. "I'm coming with you." Peggy decided. "No! You're not." Natasha snapped. "Peggy you just got shot. Look at your arm." Natasha said. Peggy clutched her wounded arm tightly keeping pressure on it but blood still poured through. "Nat, I'm sorry." Peggy apologized. Natasha nodded a plan forming in her mind. Peggy's grip loosened on Natasha's arm. "Yeah, me too," Natasha whispered. Peggy's eyes widened with realization. "Wait! Don't-" Peggy never got the chance to finish her sentence because Natasha ripped her arm out of Peggy's grip and sprinted towards the door.

"Natasha!"

She pushed the door open and ran outside. By the time she got out Steve was nowhere to be found. The only person there was Colonel Phillips.

"Where did they go?" Natasha asked through clenched teeth. Phillips looked stunned to see her. "Agent Romanoff?"

"Where did they go, Colonel?" She repeated.

Despite being filled with confusion, he pointed to the direction where they had gone off. "Wait, why am I even telling you this? Are you planning to run after them?" He asked. Natasha's mind was going a hundred miles a minute. Her eyes landed on his pistol in Phillips's pocket. Without an explanation Natasha grabbed it. Phillips's confusion turned into shock. "You can't do that!"

Natasha ripped the bottom part of her skirt. "No one tells me what to do."

"Don't even think about it," Phillips warned, now sounding pissed.

"Never do."

Then she dashed off without another word, ignoring Phillips calls behind her. It felt like a lifetime since she had felt so active and burning with purpose again. She didn't care if people were giving her strange looks.

She just ran. And ran. And ran.

Finally, she caught the sight of a man on top of a yellow cab and presumed it was Steve. They disappeared when the cab rounded the corner. She followed her instincts and slipped onto one of the alleys until she had finally caught up with them. She hid behind a wall and prepped up her pistol.

The cab toppled over and the man scrambled to get out.

Two more men were waiting there as Steve tried to catch their suspect. He held up the cab's door as a shield while the other men tried to shoot at them and their main guy took a kid as a hostage.

Knowing that Steve was outnumbered, she quickly ran towards the other side of the building and quickly sneaked up on the men from behind. Just when the guy threw the kid down the river, she engaged and leaped at one of the goons. She locked her legs in his neck and swung around to push his body down to the ground and made him slam his head hard. She swung her feet to knock the other man down, earning a grunt of pain.