Part 8: The regret

Talab yeh ke tum mil jao, hasrat yeh ke umar bhar ke liye

//

Aadil was staring blankly in a dazzle at the glass he was holding, his eyes glassy and bloodshot from the amount of alcohol he had consumed.

His mind was foggy, he couldn't think straight anymore, he was still trying to comprehend what was about to happen today to Zoya.

"Aadil yaar, ek baat karni thi wo-" (Aadil buddy, I wanted to say someth-) Azaad stopped midway with his sentence, he was appalled at what he was witnessing right now, Aadil's condition wasn't good at all, Aadil looked nowhere near normal, he was staring blankly into space, like some lost soul, deprived of peace.

He never saw his best friend like this before, only once when his parents died, but never after that, so he knew this wasn't a joke and was to be handled very seriously.

Azaad immediately went to Aadil, he lightly slapped his cheeks in an attempt to bring him back to reality while talking gently.

"Aadil, hoosh mein aaja yaar, yeh kya haal banaya hua hai tune apna? Tujhe kya lagta hai Zoya tujhe iss haal mein dekh kar khush hoti? Kabhi nehi, hoosh kar mere bhai, hoosh kar." (Aadil, come to your senses buddy, what did you do to yourself? Do you think Zoya will be happy to see you in this condition? Come to your senses my brother, come to your senses.)

At the mention of Zoya's name Aadil's eyes immediately shot up, now boring holes into Azaad's eyes.

The horrifying images came back to his mind, Zoya's red puffed eyes, the way those men touched her, with the rage building inside of him, like a lava that's about to explode any minute, he pushed Azaad away with such a force that he stumbled backwards, almost falling.

"Itna gussa aa raha hai tujhe, toh apna kyun nehi leta Zoya ko haan? Kyun nehi kar leta uss se shaadi?" (If you are getting so mad, why don't you make Zoya your own then? Why don't you marry her?) Azaad said, more than asking.

Aadil's whole being, was shaking with anger, his heartbeat increasing, he couldn't believe how Azaad uttered those words, he took fast steps towards Azaad and in no time grabbed his collar in a harsh grip.

"You know very well, I can't make her my own, so why this nonsense Azaad? Even after knowing everything?" He angrily asked with gritted teeth.

"The only way to ensure her safety is to keep her with you, I don't see any other option to keep her safe." He said back bluntly, with that Aadil left his collar.

"She doesn't deserve a cold blooded murderer like me damn it!" Aadil shouted at the top of his lungs.

"I can never keep her happy, the world I live in is a dark and dangerous place. The world she lives in is a harmonious place full of roses and butterflies, I can't take away her happiness and peace just for the sake of my solace. Above all that I can't risk her life, I am constantly surrounded by enemies and you know that, she will never be safe with me." He finally said in a low and broken voice.