TWO

CHAPTER TWO
table tension.

RUBY RAN HER PALMS over her oversized wrinkled sweater, pulling down her skirt that ended at her mid thighs, she ignored the wearily glances Jake was shooting at her.

"You got a hot date? What did I miss? Since when do you get all ready to see my uncle?" Jake raised his brows curiously, tilting his head to the side.

She rolled her eyes at his side comment, turning to face him with a stern look on her face, "shut up."

"So you're getting ready to see my uncle?" He teased, parting his lips in fake shock as he nudged her clothed shoulder.

Ruby pushed his arm down as she scoffed loudly, "no! It's not your uncle."

He pursued his lips, his face scrunched up into confusion, his eyes widening as he made the realization, "Junior?"

"Stop." She squealed, pushing his chest as she shook her head, biting her bottom lip to avoid a large smile from breaking out on her lips.

"No way!" Jake laughed, his voice echoing throughout his small house.

Ruby lifted her hand to his mouth, muffling his yells as she cursed at him, "Jake! Shut the fuck up! Please."

"He's dating Lexi." He gently pulled her wrist down, "and plus, he's a total dick."

"I know." Ruby swallowed, her eyes drifting to her dirty converse, "let's just go."

The two walked out of his bedroom, closing the door slightly as they hurried down the steps, them both coming at a halt as everyone sitting at the table turned to them.

Ruby locked eyes with the brunette, her heart speeding up as she broke their quick eye contact, following behind Jake as the seated themselves.

An awkward silence filled the air as the divided family sat, them all glancing around the table.

Bree broke the silence as she spoke, "This is fun. Can't remember the last time we just sent out for pizza."

"Hey, Luke." Logan turned to his brother, slightly leaning towards him, "you got a little something on your, uh..."

Luke scurried to brush his fingers along his ears, bringing a napkin to it as he sighed.

"So. How's business?"

"Things could be better. I'm drowning." Luke brought the glass cup to his lips, nearly finishing off the rest of alcohol in the cup.

He stood, turning his back to the table as he walked slowly to the bottle of half empty liquor in the living room, the sight made Ruby's stomach turn.

"Uh, I could throw you a little business." Logan offered, "Bree put a dent in her Lexus."

"That'll be great. If we handled bodywork." He refilled his glass, bringing it up to his lips before speaking, "but we don't."

Logan shook his head, "there's no shame in getting a little help now and then."

"Who's ashamed?"