TWENTY-EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT
Is it dead?

THE GIRL PARTED HER glossy lips to speak, interrupted by Jake flinging the door open.

"We have to go." Jake looked between them, furrowing his brows as the tension was sensible, "Sorry to barge in on whatever this is but we have more important stuff to handle."

"Yeah." Ruby nodded, frowning slightly as her time with Junior was cut short, she placed a hang on his shoulder before exiting the room, "We'll talk later."

They bid goodbye as she followed the curly headed boy out of the home, hopping on their bikes with urgency as they hurried to Lexy's house, Jake receiving a frantic call from her just minutes before.

Ruby hoped off her bike as they rolled up, the girl standing outside joined by Devon, the two abandoned their bikes as they approached them.

Apparently, Lexy's sister had gotten a new doll named Tommy, except it was an exact replica of the haunted doll that had been hunting them down. 

"Are you sure this is gonna work?" Ruby asked, watching them girl shake her head.

"No."

Ruby furrowed her brows, "What do you mean, no? It has to work."

The girl just shrugged, grabbing the sack that contained the doll, she threw it on the side walk, the teens counting down before they began to kick, stomp, and overall create damage to the toy.

Jake grabbed the sack once they had all been confident, he dumped out the remaining of the doll, plastic scattering everywhere.

They all cheered except Ruby. She knew it couldn't have been Chucky, he wasn't a normal toy. A simple beating like that wouldn't take him out.

"Guys." She spoke up, them all ignoring her as they continued to celebrate, "Guys! That's not Chucky. There's no way. That's just a regular doll."

"What are you talking about, Ruby? That's clearly him. Do you want his rain of terror to continue or something?" Lexy crossed her arms with a low scoff.

Ruby shook her head no as her features fell, "Of course I want it to end. That's just not him. We've got the wrong one. Trust me."

"Do you wan to take the credit for this? If that's what you're upset about then you can take full responsibility for killing him. It's not that big of a deal." Lexy jeered with a chuckle.

"Just listen to me! I don't give a shit about taking credit for it. Chucky's still alive. That's literally just a toy named Tommy. There's no connection between them." Ruby sighed before continuing to rant, "You guys aren't that stupid. You all know damn well Chucky wouldn't just die like that. You'd have to lit the little shit on fire or something."

Jake placed a hand on her shoulder, "Hey. You okay?"

"Why the fuck are you guys treating me like i'm delusional or something? I'm trying to help you out." Ruby shrugged his hand away, looking between the group with angry eyes.

"Because maybe you are delusional, Ru. Did you take something?" Lexy asked softly, pouting slightly as she looked at the girl.

Ruby's look sent chills down the blondes spine, immediately she stepped back with her hands up, "I was just asking."

"Fuck you guys. When Chucky comes back and kills all of you don't come bitching to me." Ruby spat, hopping on her bike, ignoring her friends pleads for her to stay as she peddled away into the night.

She didn't seem to care about the risks of being murdered by a creepy doll or the fact that she was riding along the dark streets of the most creepiest town in New Jersey.

Ruby needed to clear her head, her feelings of isolation, distraught, and dejected seemed to be taking over her headspace.

Even the simplest things had her feeling withdrawn. She couldn't put her finger on what she had been going through that made her feel so down.

She peddled faster as she approached her home, one light flicked on, she threw her bike against the brick wall, hurrying up the few steps before unlocking the door with the key tucked under the welcome mat.

Her mother laid on the couch, siping on some sort of tea with Rubin was completely passed out on the opposite couch.

"Ruby, darling. Where have you been? I've texted and called but your answers were so short. Everything alright?" Her mother asked with great worry.

"Yeah everything's fine. I've been staying with Jake. He's just needed someone and I wanted to be a good friends. Even though mine treat me like shit sometimes." Ruby chuckled as she sat beside her crawled up little brother.

Anne smiled gently at her daughter, cupping the warm mug, "Maybe you need some new friends?"

"Maybe." Ruby's lips quirked up, "We'll catch up tomorrow after school. I'm gonna go to bed, I'll take Rubin up with me."

"Thank you, Ru." Anne nodded, "Hey, sweetie."

Ruby turned to face her mother as her younger brother sleep peacefully in her arms, "Yeah?"

"I'm really proud of you."

Those five words had Ruby wanted to break down on the floor and sob till she couldn't cry anymore, but instead on the outside she just smiled, "Thanks, mom."

It had been a very long time since she'd heard those simple words, I mean, she'd heard them from a teacher after passing an exam but it was nothing like it coming from her mother.

She sat her brother down, hauling the sheets over him before closing his light, leaving his door open slightly as she crossed the hall to her bedroom.

Still in her pajamas, she drafted the covers over her, shutting her eyes as her mind raced with thoughts.

When is it just gonna end?

love love love you.