THIRTY-THREE

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
oh, tragedy.

HE HIT THE GROUND with a loud thud, followed by a painful groan as he laid on the floor, pressing his hands to it as he muttered, "I'm too old for this shit."

Somehow, he managed to muster himself together, running past the dark-skinned boy with a cackle, the group furrowing their brows.

"Guys. He's headed back downstairs." Devon warned the friends, them all following out behind him.

Lexy turned to the three, her chest rising up and down, "He didn't even try to kill me."

"Me neither." Jake and Ruby said in sync, the pits inside their stomachs growing as they walked down the long hallway.

"Hello?" A woman's voice called, the sound of police radio chatter echoing through the silent home, "Devon, are you here?"

Devon froze, his face falling, his eyes glancing up to see his mother wondering around, "Mom?"

Before he had to the chance to come clean, the redheaded doll jumped on her back, wrapping his arms around her neck as she screamed out.

"Hey, Devon, watch this!" He spoke sinisterly.

"Mom! Mom!" Devon cried out in fear, his feet working quickly as he approached the struggling woman.

Chucky was quicker, spinning around as the reaches the edge of the steps, letting the woman tumble down the flight of stairs as she reached the bottom, her neck twisting as she become stiff.

Screams left the teens mouth as they hurried down the steps, Jake and Lexy attempting to go after Chucky as Devon leaned over his mother, Ruby beside him as she covered her mouth.

The boy had just witnessed the brutal murder of his mother, sitting beside her body, sobbing loudly in the arms of the brunette girl, the sound of ambulances and police cars roaming the area.

They ignored the lights flashing through the windows of the unlucky home, people dressed in uniform stepping into the house, staring at one of their own.

A counselor came to gather the teens, her face saddening as she recognized the two, she gave them a warm smile, helping them out of the scene.

One by one they were called to an officer for questioning, all except for Devon, he'd been crying for the past hour and by the looks of it, he wasn't gonna be done soon.

Ruby folded her hands, dry tears on her face as she stared blankly at the officer with a blank notepad.

"Hello. I'm officer Simmons. Would you be for some questions?" He asked with a stern look.

She nodded, "Sure."

"Thanks." He sat before her, crossing his legs as he sat up, "Was this an accident? Or something more serious."

"I didn't see much. I just heard her falling. It was just an accident I believe. She was there looking for her son and she fell backwards. That's all Devon could say to me. Poor kid." Ruby frowned as she glanced at the trembling boy lying in Jakes arms.

The officer nodded as he jotted down notes, "Why was the entire house set up like a trap?"

"It was a prank. Our friend Junior had just lost his mother, we wanted to do something to make him laugh." Ruby lied, keeping her eyes locked with the man confidently.

He flicked his dark eyes between hers before scribbling something onto the notepad, "That's all. Thank you for your time. Sorry for your loss. She was great."

"I didn't know her well. So, I won't take pity. The only person that deserved to be pitied is her child who witnessed her dying. With that being said, leave him alone for the time being. Thanks. Sorry for your loss." She smiled before standing, leaving the officer with pulled brows and a confused look.

She walked over to Lexy who was up next to be questioned, she kept her voice low, "I told him that we didn't see anything. The entire house was set up like that to be a prank for Junior. Got it?"

"Yep." The blonde fixed her hair before walking over to the area with a flat expression.

Ruby watched as the familiar car pulled into the driveway, Junior and his father exiting the car frantically.

"What's going on here?" Logan freaked, watching his house being surrounded with officers and caution tape.

Juniors eyes found the brunette girl, stepping away from the truck he approached her.

"Hey. What's going on?" Junior asked, his voice hoarse and tired.

"Devon's mom fell down the stairs, she died." Ruby swallowed, crossing her arms over her chest as she replayed the horrifying scene in her head.

He frowned deeply, "Oh, God. Is he alright?"

"At the moment, no." Ruby sighed, placing her hand on his clothed forearm, "Are you alright?"

Junior's lips curled down, his eyes hooded as he slowly shook his head no, "At the moment, no. I'm not okay. I miss her."

"I know." Ruby smiled gently, brining her arms to his neck as she hugged him tightly.

His arms flying to her waist, bathing in her wariness and her sweet scent of poundcake and strawberries. In this moment, everything felt alright.

Lexy stepped away from the officer, her steps coming to a halt as she watched her ex boyfriend and her new friend sharing a tight hug, she gulped with anger, curling her hands into fists.

authors note.
shits abt to get messy yall.