THIRTY-FOUR

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
with lose comes terrible things.

DEATH WAS SOMETHING EVERYONE had or eventually was going to experience, even if it's just a mutual friend or a friend's loved one, you still feel an emptiness. That pit also leads to regret.

Ruby glanced at herself in the mirror, cheeks rosy as her hair had been pinned straight, long sleeve black dress with small heels. Even just applying the cherry chapstick she felt nauseous.

One thing she hated most was funeral. The environment was greatly sad, people crying and reminiscing.

Her arm interlocked with Jake's as they approached the Wheeler's residence, Devon and Lexy standing outside of the home.

They glanced at the two, small smiles on their faces as they joined the rest of the group.

Ruby wrapped her arms around the boy, pulling back as she gripped his shoulder, "I'm so sorry, Devon."

Devon's lips lifted up, nodding his head as he crossed his hands.

"So you're staying with your aunt?" Jake asked, watching the boy with curious eyes, brows furrowed.

He gulped as he played with the sleeve of his suit jacket, shaking his head, "Uh, yeah."

"Maybe me, Ruby and Lexy can come over later and figure out what to do next." Jake suggested, his eyes flickering towards the blonde who sighed loudly, "What?"

"I'm on lockdown." She rolled her eyes with annoyance, "My parents think it was another accident, but I was here, so they also think I'm Satan.

Devon licked his lips before speaking, "I found out why my mom showed up that night. Someone called her. Said I was in trouble. Told her I was here. It was Chucky. He wanted me to see her die."

"He did the same thing to Junior." Ruby brought her brows together in confusion, earning a glare from Lexy at the mention of her ex.

"To me too." Jake added, "Why is Chucky killing our parents? And why is he rubbing it in our faces?"

Ruby chuckled lowly, " 'Cause he's a dick. What should we do then?"

"He's not gonna stop coming for us just 'cause we gave up. So we try to survive. I mean, if we split up, at least he has more ground to cover. Devon, we can still do this. We just-"

"No, Jake." Devon interrupted the pleading boy, "We're not good together."

Ruby rolled her lips into her mouth, "Maybe he's right. Maybe we should just go home for now?"

"Jake, you happy now?" Junior stormed over to the group, his jaw clenched as he spoke with anger.

"Junior." Ruby muttered, watching his chest rise up and down as he stood tall beside her.

He flickered his furious brown eyes between his cousins dark ones, cocking a brow, "You happy? You ruined everything. Everyone around you dies. My mom, Devon's mom, even your own parents! You're a fucking curse."

"Junior, stop!" Ruby shouted over the boy.

He turned to her quickly, his finger in her face, "This is none of your business."

Ruby pushed his hand down back to his side as she spoke sternly, "Look, I'm sorry about your mom. This is not Jake's fault."

Something inside Junior had snapped, he brought his fist straight to the boys jaw, watching as he stumbled back with a hiss of pain.

"Junior!" Ruby pushed the boys chest, attempting to separate the two.

He scoffed at her, "You can all go to hell."

Logan scolded the boy as he yelled at him, "Get inside. You okay?"

Jake just nodded as he held his aching jaw, turning his head slightly as a car began to pull into the driveway, loud music pouring through the speakers.

"Hello, Logan. I'm so sorry for your loss." The woman stepped out of her car, heels clicking against the pavement as she kissed the man on his cheek gently.

Ruby's eyes widened as she immediately recognized her, Jennifer Tilly in the flesh.

The woman's eyes scanned her surroundings, a smirk growing on her face as she landed on the brunette standing with a pale face.

"You've gotten so big!" Jennifer clapped with giddy as she cupped the young girls cheeks, "I remember you when you were a baby! Such a pretty lady you are now."

"Thanks." Ruby pursued her lips, her cold hands sending chills down her spine.

They all watched as she hummed to herself, getting back into her running car and pulling out of the driveway like she'd never been there in the first place.

"Hey, who was that?" Jake asked.

"Long story." Ruby shook her head with flat lips.

The service was long, painful to watch as people sobbed the entire time. Ruby had a pounding headache, sitting up in Jakes bedroom as she stared out of the window.

Jake had went off to Devons, wanting to sort everything out before he'd leave to go stay with his aunt for the time being.

A shuttle knock at the door had her jumping up, turning with caution as she prepared herself to come face to face with the evil himself.

Junior slowly opened the door, Ruby immediately feeling a sense of relief as the boy popped in.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you. I know it's getting late but I can't stand to be here right now. Would you like to go in a walk?" Junior's voice shook, his eyes slightly puffy and red.

"I'd love too." Ruby giggled, taking his warm hand as they swerved around the people emptying the house.

authors note.

next chapter is gonna be the
best one yet.