chapter eighteen

a few days later ---

a few days had passed, I spent nearly everyday with rafe, sarah and the pogues but today was different.

after liam moved back home we hadn't had much of a chance to hang out, he kept leaving early to look for jobs and coming home later after the gym so we never really got to see each other.

but today before he left to go hand out resumes we organised to go out to lunch together just us.

it was 11:15, I was due to meet my brother at the resort in about an hour, and I hadn't even begun to get ready yet.

I rushed into the shower to wash my hair, I had been so busy with my friends that I kept forgetting to wash my hair. at this point I was convinced my hair contained mostly of sea salt.

after doing so I walked back into my room, looking to find an outfit for the lunch. since I was going with my brother I didn't have to completely dress up but then again we were going to the resort and our family were members.

I changed into a pair of washed out blue ripped jeans, a white lace bodysuit and a pair of black lace up chunky heels.

I tied my hair up into two dutch braids and did my makeup. I applied the foundation, concealer and powder to my face along with a light pink blush and a gold shiny highlighter.

I decided on a rose gold and silver blend for my eyes to compliment them and a light pink matte lipstick. 

my lashes were already long so instead of applying fake lashes I left them natural and put some l'oreal mascara.

after doing so I looked to the clock on the wall, it was 11:50.

I walked downstairs to the study, and opened a bottle of whiskey. if my dad was here he'd probably kill me for opening it since it was a bottle from 1938.

I took a few shots of the liqueur before putting it back in the cabinet. I set the alarms for the house on my way out and grabbed the keys to my car.

I drove away from my house and headed towards the resort. my brother was probably there already, he's usually the early one out of us.

I watched out my window as I drove, admiring the houses, the ones like mine but filled with happy families and money.

while my family and I had our fair share of money, the only thing I craved was the presence of my parents. they would only come home every few months to see me, make sure I was holding down the fort well and up to their standards.

I pulled into the driveway of the resort and into the parking lot, all the expensive and luxurious cars that filled the lot. 

I jumped out of the vehicle and slid my glasses onto my head and keys into my handbag.

I walked up to the stairs, greeting everyone, the partners my parents had done business with, people I knew through the cameron's and just people I had known my whole life really.

I looked around the outside of the resort to find my brother sitting by himself at a table of two. I walked over to my sibling and sat in from of him, placing down my bag next to my chair.

"hey bails"

I smiled and searched through the menu to the restaurant, I looked up to my brother who seemed jittery and unfocused.

"liam" I placed my hand on his to stop it from shaking uncontrollably, he looked to me and grinned.

"what's wrong liam?"

"I have something to tell you bails, it's something good for you for us".

I looked to him with a questionable look, as if I was concerned as to what he was about to say.

"I got a job" he exclaimed with excitement, I looked to him with happiness. he'd been trying so hard this past week to find a job to support and he finally did it.

"no way" I yelled, causing the attention fo those around us sorry I mouthed, dragging my attention back to my brother.

I leaned over the table and brought him into a hug, I felt so proud of him.

our whole lives we've been trying to do nothing but make our parents proud, but they slightly made it worse by giving us everything, education, rich childhood and jobs.

but now liam had gotten a job without them persuading the business owner and squirming their way into that person's head.

"bailey" he said again but this time with a more excited look on his face.

"you can finally go to college, leave obx and never look back. you have been waiting for this forever, to leave and pursue your dreams and now you finally can."

he was right, the only reason I was here was because of my parents, because they didn't want me to leave the house unattended. but now he was back, it was my time, my time to pursue my dreams.

"I-i i dont know what to say" I stuttered, because I didn't, I didn't know what to say. 

my brother came back for me, he came back to make sure i would be able to live my life the way I've always wanted.

"go to college bailey go be that journalist you've always wanted to be" he said, he looked proud. he was the only person to ever be proud of me, he was the only one to truly know what I'm capable of doing.

"o-okay" I softly said, it was my time to shine and we both knew it.

we spent the whole lunch talking about colleges and my ideas towards it. I knew I wanted to do journalism but that meant I had to move to the mainland and leave obx.

after the lunch we drove home, I had to start applying for colleges, I didn't want to wait any longer, I wanted to leave.

but there was only one problem, rafe...