Chapter 5

Jackie as it turned out was staying at the same hotel that Jack was. He walked her to her room, carrying the now sleeping child for her.

She unlocked the room and let him in. He lay the little girl on the bed and glanced around. Aside from a few dolls on the floor there was nothing of Jackie's out.

"Thank you, Jack. I appreciate it."

He nodded, glancing at Caroline. "She's...Uh, she's beautiful."

"Thank you." She smiled.

He nodded again, shifting uncomfortably. He hadn't actually been alone with Jackie since weeks before their divorce. He didn't know what to say to her.

"You...have a busy day tomorrow. You should probably get some sleep."

"Sleep..." He stopped, eyes widening as he remembered the red-head who was supposed to be waiting for him in his room. The red-head he suddenly didn't want to see.

"What? Are you okay?" Jackie asked, touching his arm.

"Jackie...can you do me a huge, huge favor?"

She nodded. "Sure...what?"

"Come with me to my room. For five minutes. Pretend to be...be with me again."

"Excuse me?"

"There's a woman! Who's...well that's not the point. She's in my room and I don't want her in there." He sighed. "Please kid?"

Her eyes softened at hearing his pet name for her again. "Okay, okay."