22;; Missed it

22;; Missed it

✩ ✩ ✩ 

Jake never expected his summer break to start like this – in fact, he thought the complete opposite was going to be his reality.

It was funny how quickly the world changed, one second he thought something and the next he thought the latter – the world was really strange. All he really wanted was to forget what had happened, but at least Riki was happy.

Riki seemed the happiest he'd been in the past few months – there was a certain spark to him that seemed to have ignited in him. Jake wasn't quite sure what had gotten into Riki to make him this happy, but he didn't care to ask, after all – why did it really matter to him?

And even if it was a little selfish, he was even more glad that Riki was bursting with happiness, which meant he could share some of it with him through extra bright smiles and hugs.

He couldn't really tell if Riki noticed anything was up with him lately, and to be honest, he didn't want to worry the younger with his troubles. Yes, it was partially his business, but happily looked beautiful on Riki and he didn't want to take that away from him. So, he stayed silent and tried to squash down those feelings with excessive time with Layla and even more excessive hugs from Riki.

Even though Minsong made it pretty obvious they were no longer friends, he tried to make some effort to rekindle but every time his efforts would end in vain.

He never told Riki about what had really happened – he just made up some errands which he seemed to buy.

But of course, after a while, he had given up and once summer break had begun, he had completely stopped talking to Minsong. He tried not to think about it and instead fizzled his mind by pulling all-nighters with Riki, just watching the stars after they had gotten bored and tired of the movie they were watching.

They did this so often that stargazing just remind him of Riki, the stars trapped in his warm gaze.

He hoped Riki didn't mind how often they did stupid things like this just so that he wouldn't have to worry about his problems. He began wondering how Riki coped with his own stress which made him even more inclined to cuddle with him to sleep, instead of ruining his head with lack of sleep and made sure to wake up an hour earlier to make breakfast after his parents had left.

"Are you still hungry?" Riki asked, drumming his fingers against his thigh, keeping his eyes on the board game they were playing. He rustles the piece of paper in his hand, a grin evident on his lips.

"Nope," Jake muttered, rolling the dice, and chucking it gently onto the board, "Are you?" he reaches over to pick up a clue card.

"What does it say?" Riki leans in closer, "Oh, and I'm not either – I just have my second sandwich left so I thought you might want it,"

"You can just save it for later," Jake adjusts his position on the floor, taking the plate out of the youngers hand, "I'll take it downstairs, don't look at my cards – and don't look inside the envelope!" he snaps with a chortle and stands up, Riki nodding as he lifts his hands up.

"I won't!" He chirps with a childish grin, Jake staring into his eyes until he cracked – bursting out into a fit of laughter, "okay – I promise I won't. Better?" He emphasises the word promise, Jake nodding in response before turning on his heels and leaving.

Jake glanced back at Riki who was twiddling with his fingers, a subconscious smile fitting onto his lips.

He quickly trudges down the stairs, gently pushing against the cold ajar door. He feels around for the switch and squints at the blaring lights, walking over to the kitchen. His skin pricks with goosebumps which made him shudder as he places the plastic cover over Riki's food, storing it away in a cabinet.