33;; Hurt

33;; Hurt

✩ ✩ ✩

"What was that?"

"What was what?"

After the date had eventually fizzled out, the last dying ashes and embers of the matchmaking burnt before it even had a chance to set the forest on fire. The sudden anger and guilt burning within his veins nearly killed him if only it weren't for the fact that this wasn't the end, couldn't be – didn't have to be. The walk home was a silent one, hands shoved into pockets and head swinging low too afraid and too stunned to say anything.

Riki pursed his lips, "Why didn't you do anything?" He spat, too guilty to say anything with remorse.

"What could I have done? How-"

"I know you still weren't a hundred per cent with the matchmaking idea, you think I'm stupid not to have realised?" The blonde rose from his seat and approached Jake who didn't respond, "I know you still... care."

The suggestion made Jake's lips crumple into a line, furrowed brows as he tried to make sense of this situation, "I didn't try to ruin their date on purpose – why would I do that-"

"I didn't say that-"

"Then what did you mean?"

Riki could feel the words on his tongue slowly dying before they could leave, fist falling in on itself as he tried to remain composed. He remembered Jake being so dismissive, remembered him being so cold, overprotective of someone that wasn't his anymore- it all made him so, so-

"If you thought I cared about Minsong so much then why would I ruin their date? Tell me because I don't understand why you think I would do something like that." Jake turned his head away from the younger and sighed, resting against the dining table while Riki let silence filter in.

"B-because," Riki tries to get the words to Jake's ears, but he can't. He was afraid – afraid if what he might say, what he might think of him after if it was really all true. He chuckles, how could he be upset or mad – it was his matchmaking after all.

"Because what?"

"Because I think you still like Minsong!"

Finally, the words came out in full force, so much harsher, so much louder, so, so much more... hurt. Riki didn't realise the words came out before it was too late, slapping his hands against his lips and turning his head down, wishing he could swallow his words back. He didn't dare to face Jake's reaction, but instead, apologies so softly under his breath.

The silence was back so thick and full of unsaid words that Jake could feel himself choke on the thoughts bubbling up his throat. The words still stung, the salt seeping into his wounds as if he didn't care, as if... whatever he said before didn't matter anymore. The tears coating his eyes made him want to laugh, fingers reaching up to quickly clean up the mess, voice too hoarse to breathe. He had really messed up.

Jake wanted to scream out the first things that came to his mind yell out his true feeling but before he could they would fizzle out into tears and even though he hadn't said a single word since Riki's exclamation, he could feel his throat rattling and aching. He sucked in a harsh breath, biting at his bottom lip, still unsure of how to respond – to react – to his assumptions. Did Riki really see that – think of him like that, even after everything?

Sadness boiled into anger and Jake didn't feel like speaking anymore, let alone arguing but he couldn't just give his boyfriend the silent treatment and leave, no... someone did that to him and that was the exact cause of their argument.

"I'm sorry..." Jake isn't sure why he apologies, but he does anyway, "I'm so sorry but why?" he tries to choke back the 'why', but the words just froth out anyways and for some reason, he doesn't take the question back.