Chapter 11

"Her name's Lauren,"

Alejandro kinked up a questionable eyebrow at his daughter. "Lauren..?"

"Jauregui. Lauren Jauregui, we went to high school together," Camila cleared her throat. "I wanted to tell you myself but—"

"You've been on every magazine cover for the past week, trotting around Boston with this girl, and haven't thought to give me at least one call, Karla?"

"Dad," Camila mumbled. "My hands have been a bit full, in case you haven't noticed. Isn't this what you fucking wanted, anyway? For me to get my life together?"

"How did you meet her?" He completely disregarded everything his daughter just said to him.

"I just told you; we used to go to high school together," the dark-haired woman stared at the skyline through her father's office windows. "When you forced me to go to the reunion, I ran into her and things took off from there."

"And you're serious with this girl?"

She made eye contact with her father, finally, and lied right through her teeth. "I'm still figuring that out right now. There's a reason why I haven't let you meet her yet."

"I see," Alejandro's steely gaze shook her to the core. "Your mother is delighted to see that you've actually decided to stop whoring around. She's coming to the charity ball, isn't she?"

"Uh, well... She's a bit busy with work lately, so I haven't gotten around to asking her."

"What does she do for a living?"

"She's a psychology professor at Northeastern," hope soars in her heart when she sees a look of approval wash over Alejandro's face. "Finals are coming up soon and things are crazier during that time."

Alejandro tapped his fingers on his desk. "I'd like to invite her myself. Let her know that she's welcomed into the family and whatnot."

"Dad, really, there's no need for that," Camila attempted to steer him away from the idea. "She'd be more than happy to join me once I tell her about it,"

"Alright, I'm sure you know by now that your mother needs a headcount for our table by the end of this week. Don't forget to tell her." He got up from his chair. "I'm sure the two of us have a lot to talk about."

"Right," she trailed behind him as they exited his office. "I'm sure you fucking do," Camila said the last half of her sentence to nobody but herself.

-

"Mani," Lauren set the box of chocolates down on her colleague's desk. "Are you going to be mad at me forever?"

"I should be," Normani snapped. "How am I supposed to react when I see you kissing Camila Cabello on every fucking gossip blog's front page?"

"Before you start yelling at me anymore, there's more to it than you think,"

"Enlighten me then, Lauren Michelle Jauregui Morgado! Because there's absolutely nothing you can say that..."

"Camila and I aren't actually dating," Lauren said quietly.

Normani laughed bitterly. "Yes, totally, lie straight to my face!"

"Look, I don't even know if I can tell you," she pursed her lips. "But you can't repeat anything I tell you. Not even to Dinah."

The pregnant woman sighed. "Lauren,"

"Her dad wants to see her settle down and get her life together before he turns over the company to her. And... When she ran into me at the reunion, she thought I'd be a perfect candidate."