Chapter 24

Empty.

That's how her life feels ever since they've got back to Boston. Their cover-up story would be as follows; Lauren initiated a break that eventually turned into a break up because Camila refused to prioritize anything over her job. But, of course, they'd still be friends.

She remembers standing by the doorway of Lauren's bedroom, watching her pack the last of her things and the scent of her Marc Jacobs perfume when she gives her one last hug before officially leaving, but she wishes she asked her to stay.

They occasionally text each other every other week, but it's nothing compared to the long, meaningful conversations they had before. From what Shawn tells her, she seems content in her new penthouse and living life with her friends.

Friends which include Dylan Sprouse.

Camila slammed her pen down, unable to look at the jumble of words any longer. Sparing a look at her phone, she contemplates calling anybody to cure her boredom, but when she realizes there really isn't anyone to call—she's left with the rattling feeling of loneliness that she had grown so familiar with in the past.

Work could only occupy her brain so much until it drove her insane and she knew that the longer she cooped herself up in her office, the more miserable she'd be by the end of this month if she even makes it.

She signs out of everything on her desktop and shuffles the papers back in order before pulling on her coat and heading for the elevator, passing Gwen on the way out.

"I'm going to call it an early night, Gwen. Feel free to leave whenever you're ready."

"Oh," Gwen's eyes slightly widened. "Alright, have a good rest of your night, Miss Cabello,"

"You as well," Camila pressed the elevator button and kept her eyes focused straight ahead of her.

When she makes it down to the main lobby, her driver is waiting by the car with the back door open and ready for her—a warm smile on his face.

"Glad to see you're heading home so soon, Miss Cabello,"

"Do you mind if we stop by the grocery store on the way back?" Camila paused for a moment before getting in.

"Sure thing," Decklan ushered for her to get in the car and away from the gusty winds.

They headed down Bolyston St., Decklan's expansive music taste occupying the silence that filled the car. He pulls into the parking lot of Whole Foods, turning his head to look at the younger woman.

"We're here, Miss Cabello,"

"Thanks, Decklan, I'll be fast. Don't bother turning the car off." Camila clambered out of the backseat and scurried inside the grocery store. She didn't bother grabbing a basket, knowing that she had almost everything she needed back at home already.

She scavenged for the baking section, smiling in triumph when she finds it. She breezes past all of the organic shit, heading straight for the signature Betty Crocker cake mixes. Reaching up to grab the moist chocolate cake one, she stops when she hears a familiar laugh.

Glancing down the aisle, she finds Lauren and Dylan together—he's carrying a small black basket filled with vegetables and poultry while Lauren held up two kinds of different cupcake mixes.

Camila quickly snatches up the box, running in the opposite direction as she prays to every God that'll listen to her that Lauren didn't see her. She heads towards the self-checkout area, eager to get out of the store faster than Usain Bolt.

Decklan frowns when he sees her in such a hurry. "Are you alright?"

"Just peachy," Camila responded, out of breath. "Do you mind hitting the gas, though? I really have to use the bathroom."