2

Gene stayed at the Potter's mansion until the first day of school. Jacob had even bought him a cake for his birthday while Pandora and Regulus sent their best regards. Jacob had owled them informing of Gene's new location. Regulus almost flooed to Jacob's house the moment he heard but didn't want to see his brother. Now Gene and Jacob were waiting patiently for Pandora and Regulus to join them in their usual compartment. It was the third compartment from the entrance of the train. The four had all met there during first year and had met there ever since. Jacob and Gene boarded the train after having to sit through Jacob's parents complementing James for the fiftieth time. Gene resisted the urge to expose how much of a prat James actually was but every five seconds Jacob would send his friend a glare to shut him up. James, although enjoying the compliments, still frowned when he realized that they hadn't said anything about Jacob. In fact, Jacob's scowl hadn't lifted since he had gotten back from Hogwarts. When the three entered the train, James hesitated, unsure of whether he should talk to his brother. James had never properly met Gene and Gene seemed like a funny boy. Instead, James went to his usual compartment to wait for his friends. It was thirty minutes until they saw Regulus. Jacob sent him a kind nod, the two friends silently communicating all of their grievances. They would talk later.

"Now, if it isn't the emo bitch boy I know and love!" Gene's voice echoed the compartment walls and caused Regulus to roll his eyes.

"Gene," Regulus sat next to the messy-haired boy, allowing Gene to wrap his arm around the other's shoulder. 

"Wow, wow, wow. You've really hunkered up, haven't you? Gotten strong, eh? Fighting off ladies really does that to you, doesn't it?" Gene scanned over his friend's appearance, frowning at his hair. He gave it a light tug and Regulus winced. "Your hair still looks like shit. Thought you were rich enough to go to a barber or something, Merlin." Regulus shoved Gene off, fixing his long hair.

"Still a prat, I see?"

"Still violent, I see?" Gene huffed, climbing back into his seat. Regulus sighed, opening up his book. That made Gene gasp. "Oh! Reminds me!" He dug through his belongings before pulling out a muggle book that Regulus was interested in. "Here you go, good sire. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Unsure why you were so curious about this one. Read it-,"

"You don't know how to read," Gene scoffed.

"Rude. Fine, I looked at the pictures. Rather sweet actually. Looks like Panda," Regulus glanced at the cover before sighing and putting away the book he was about to read.

"What looks like me?" Pandora's beautiful dark hair shined with her smile. The three boys all smiled and Gene immediately jumped in her arms.

"Oh Panda! How much I've missed you!" Pandora giggled, hugging Gene back. She was the nicest soul to ever exist in the world of Hogwarts. The three were very fond of her. She was like the light at the end of the tunnel, the mother they all wished they had. Although Pandora fought her own demons, she was lucky enough to have three boys who wished the best for her. 

"Hello Gene, how was the Potter's?"

"Oh amazing! I think that Mrs. Potter has taken a real liking towards me. Whattya think, Jacob? I'd make an amazing step-father." Jacob made a face, kicking Gene harshly before offering a genuine smile to Pandora.

"Hello Pandora," Pandora sat next to the boy, finally feeling at rest. Although Pandora and Regulus were family, she did feel closer to Jacob. He was the sweetest yet harshest boy she had ever met. A Slytherin through and through. The four sat comfortably, the underrated version of the Marauders. Equally chaotic and yet underappreciated. The four were finally together. Through thick and thin, this would be their third year together and no matter what would happen, they wouldn't leave each other's sides. Never again.