4

Jacob-

Gene had tried to show some sort of hospitality to no avail only due to Jacob quickly shooing down all attempts. Gene didn't know what to do as he hid the money bag behind him. The four sat in the cockroach-infested room before Oak flew to Jacob's side. Although disappointed, Jacob allowed Oak to nestle into his arm. What more did the bird know? Besides, Jacob supposed that Regulus and Sirius looked somewhat similar. James looked at Gene and saw the money bag peeking out from behind him. With a tight-lipped smile, he turned disapprovingly to Jacob.

"That's a lot of money," He noted dully, fixing his glasses. The younger boys glanced at each other before Jacob glared at his brother.

"It is, isn't it?"

"Mum's missing the family heirloom," Jacob stayed stone-faced as Gene gulped harshly, his eyes staying focused on the ground.

"How curious, you sure Euphemia didn't misplace it?" Jacob clenched his jaw at how easily his brother disregarded their mother but said nothing of it. "Maybe Black stole it," Sirius stood up in outrage, running up to Jacob in discontent.

"I would never steal mum's-," Jacob just stared blankly at the boy, leaning back on his hands to get away from the older's breath.

"She's not your 'mum' now is she, Sirius? Last time I checked, your 'mum' was Walburga and your 'brother' was Regulus, not James. And now Regulus is home alone with your Walburga while you live happily with James' 'mum'." Sirius clenched his jaw before returning to his seat, the cockroaches scrambling out of the bed before they suffocated.

"She's your mum too," Gene found offense in that and quietly interjected, not wanting to get hexed.

"I wouldn't categorize Euphemia as a mother," James glared at the boy in question, his lips turned downward.

"Says the orphan, stay out of this, would you? It's a family discussion,"

"Then Sirius should leave as well," Jacob spat, giving Gene a nod of appreciation.

"But Sirius is family-,"

"Oh, Sirius has a family. His family isn't us though, it's Regulus who's getting beaten for god knows why." Sirius clenched his jaw.

"He's not getting beaten!"

"You don't know that," Gene interjected, crossing his arms. "He was beaten last break because he was friends with me. A blood traitor. Besides, you were there why didn't you stop him?"

"Are you mental?" Sirius spat causing Gene to pull out his lighter. When the small flame flickered Sirius gulped and immediately looked away. A grim grin fell on Gene's complexion, his tanned skin forming a sickening blush.

"I wouldn't ask someone like me if I was mental. You wouldn't live to hear an answer," Jacob bit back a chuckle, lightly kicking Gene's arm with his foot.

"Lay off Gene," Gene merely shrugged, pulling out yet another cigarette and inhaling deeply.

"He's a bad example, Jacob!" James nearly screeched, watching as Gene made small symbols with the smoke. Jacob merely shrugged, fixing his shirt which Sirius had ruined.

"I've seen you with the Marauders smoking god knows how many cigarettes, what's wrong with Gene doing it?"

"He's fourteen,"

"You're fifteen, what's your point?" James just sighed in exasperation, rubbing his face in exhaustion.

"Mum wants you home," Gene tensed up at the thought, throwing his half-used cigarette in retaliation. 

"I think the fuck not!" Gene interjected before Jacob could even respond. "She starves him, neglects him, doesn't allow him out of his room because, why? He's a Slytherin? That's fucking stupid!" James didn't say anything, glancing at the floor ashamed. Gene focused his energy on Sirius who was still holding the invitation that looked to be ripped in his hand. "That letter wasn't for you, you know. Oak must've gotten confused or you must have been a fucking idiot because it clearly says 'Reg' on the front. For fucks sake, you've got to ruin everything, don't you?" Gene stood up, clearly in distress. Jacob saw this and frowned.