1975~13

T/W- SORRY 

Regulus-

Christmas hadn't started off terribly. His parents were actually treating him with a decent amount of respect. He had gotten nothing but raving reviews from all of his teachers and now all he had to do was wait until New Years' Eve when he could run back to Hogwarts. But then Regulus started noticing small details that he would have ignored. Sirius sat by his mother's side during almost every meal and they seemed almost at peace. Kreacher had begun to pile first aid equipment in Regulus' room instead of Sirius'. Their father was almost lethargic as he walked through the house. The estate felt as though it was covered in thin ice. One misstep and everything would break. So Regulus didn't step. He barely moved. He stayed in his room most days waiting for any news from his friends. He got the first letter from Pandora two days before Christmas. He would have responded if his father hadn't torn the letter from Regulus' hands.

"She is a blood traitor, you don't associate with her, understood?" Regulus bit back tears of shock as he slowly nodded his head. Sirius watched the entire scene with growing guilt. It was his fault. Everything that was going to happen was his fault. And then, two days later, the fight broke out.

Regulus was in his room when he first heard the shouting. He had quickly hid his book of Alice in Wonderland and cautiously cracked open his door. The noises were like loud trumpets at first, aggregated and shrill. But then Kreacher ran to Regulus and tried to push him back into his room. 

"You must not come out, young master," 

"Kreacher, we've discussed this, my name is Regulus and why can't I go down?"

"Oh no, dear master, you must not risk it. The traitor's letter was enough to get you killed and now they're fighting. Kreacher doesn't want young master to be hurt," Regulus knelt next to Kreacher, unsure of which traitor the house-elf was referring to. There were too many to count. 

"Kreacher, do you know what they're talking about?" Regulus softly stroked the little hair on Kreacher's head in an attempt to calm the house elf. Kreacher only whimpered, clinging tightly to Regulus' arm. Regulus could only assume the house elf was crying. 

"O-Oh, Regulus. Kreacher will miss your happy smile and your cheery mood. Kreacher is a good elf, though. Kreacher cannot hurt his master anymore," Kreacher then attempted to shove Regulus back into his room with little success. "Please, young master, go back into your room. Kreacher will take the pain for you," Kreacher's sobs became as loud as the fighting and Regulus quickly hugged the house elf. 

"Kreacher, you have to tell me what's going on. I'm scared," Kreacher sniffed while shaking his head.

"Kreacher cannot, he swore-," Kreacher began muttering under his breath as the fighting got closer to the staircase. "Oh no, young master please!" Before Regulus could say anything, he was grabbed by the color of his sweater and practically tossed down the stairs. Kreacher's sobs were heard while Kreacher frantically sprinted away from Regulus' father. Regulus saw Sirius sprawled near him and immediately began to panic. 

"Show him." His father demanded, crossing slowly towards Sirius. Regulus saw the piece of paper in Sirius' hand and slowly felt a cold feeling in his gut. But they had destroyed every draft, right? Sirius wasn't strong enough to expose Regulus, right? Sirius slowly shook his head and attempted to tear the letter but their father stopped him. "Are you deaf, boy? I said, show him!" Their father kicked Sirius towards Regulus and Regulus' older brother collapsed in front of him. 

"I swear, Reggie, if I could take it back I would," Regulus quickly got onto his knees, slowly picking up the letter that had fallen from Sirius' hands. "Reggie, please. James wrote most of it, it wasn't me," The letter contained the lake incident and detailed information about Regulus' little affections towards Gene. Regulus' hands shook in fear as he reread the letter. Everything was about Gene. How Regulus would stay in the Ravenclaw common-room for undisclosed periods of time. How he had spat at Sirius and how Gene had obtained numerous detentions. How 'dangerous' Gene was to the family's reputation. Regulus slowly tore his gaze from the letter to see his father sitting on the family couch next to Regulus' mother. Oh god, oh no. He should have listened to Kreacher. Regulus quickly tore up the letter, watching as the pieces of paper fell on the ground.

"Sirius," His mother's shrill voice caused both of the brothers to jump. Walburga empathetically signaled to the seat next to her. "Come, sit. You have redeemed yourself in my eyes." Sirius didn't move a muscle, suddenly realizing what this meant. Gene's words echoed in his head. He didn't want to stand around and do nothing. But then he felt his mother's cold glare and Sirius slowly got up.

"Sirius, please don't leave me," Regulus begged, his hands quickly gripping his brother's hand only for his father to wave his wand. Regulus was sent crashing against the wall, nearly missing the grandfather clock. With a gasp, he collapsed onto the floor. Sirius felt tears streaming down his face as he slowly sat next to his mother. 

"Sirius, what did your little brother do wrong?" Sirius took a deep breath in to calm himself and stared emotionlessly at the floor. "Don't be afraid, you have the power now. You can do what you deem right. Look at him. He deserved punishment." Sirius forced himself to look at Regulus who sat pathetically on the floor. Sirius slowly shook his head.

"He didn't do anything wrong," With a scoff, Walburga pulled out her wand and twirled it between her fingers. 

"Orion, it seems we have more than one punishment to fulfill." Orion grabbed Sirius' collar and forced him to the ground next to his brother. "You wrote the letter. You voiced your concerns over his," The letter was quickly repaired and had found itself in Walburga's hand. "'Homoerotic nature'." Regulus' head snapped towards Sirius, betrayal written in his eyes. 

"Sirius, wha-?" He was thrown back against the wall again, his back cracking at the sudden pressure. 

"No! Stop it!" Sirius yelled, attempting to get the wand from his father's hand. This only resulted in Regulus being thrown to the other side of the room, his face colliding with the stair banister. 

"Let's see what else, you wrote that you were 'exceedingly afraid that the Golden Child was going down the wrong path,' and that 'you didn't want his friends to change his beliefs'. Isn't that adorable? Isn't that poetic?" Walburga's steps echoed through the house as she slowly circled her older son. 

"I didn't mean it," Walburga tutted, her wand pointed directly at Regulus who was slouched on the opposite wall. His face was bruised and his nose looked broken.

"Who will get the crucio curse, Sirius? You decide. It will either be you or your brother. If you choose Regulus, I will allow you to stay in this house. If not, you are officially disowned. Choose wisely," Sirius felt his breath catch in his throat and he felt like throwing up.

"You can't-,"

"I can," Walburga smiled sweetly, the grip on her wand tightening. 

"I-It's illegal,"

"I have very powerful connections," Walburga smiled again, putting the wand in Sirius' hand while aiming at Regulus. "Choose." Regulus stared at his brother, suddenly regaining consciousness. He noted the snot running down his nose and his hands which were bruised for whatever reason. Was Regulus going to die? Did Sirius want him to die? "Choose." Regulus gave Sirius a crooked smile. This was what he wanted, right? Why didn't Sirius just kill him? Sirius slowly turned the wand onto himself.

"F-Fuck you," He sobbed, closing his eyes ready for the impact. Walburga smiled, grinding her teeth, before whispering the encantation.

"Crucio," 

And Regulus's body flared with unbearable pain.