1979~1

Xenophilius-

Light flickered from her wand, encapsulating the face of her beloved. She tried to keep concentration on the spell, sweat slowly dripping from her forehead as she focused. The light flickered, almost mockingly, before going out. Pandora groaned, resisting the need to fall to the ground in exhaustion. She had to keep practicing, even if it made her mad. She slowly steadied herself. She gripped her wand tighter and closed her eyes. The only thing she could hear was Xenophilius' worried breathes as she swung her wand yet again. The light appeared once more, this time much weaker. She could only hold it for fifteen seconds, the thought alone making her sick. She had to be stronger for the plan to work.

"Pandora, take a break my love." Xenophilius always tried to coax Pandora out of her fixations. He didn't understand that these fixations could very well save a life. Pandora tried to shake her head, but Xenophilius' hand tried to grab her arm. With a flick of her wand, his hand was given a soft push. 

"I've almost got it."

"Exhaustion won't do you any good."

"Death won't do anyone any good."

Xenophilius sighed, unsure of how to back his wife from her deathbed. He had always been supportive of his wife, of her adventures. Especially after graduation. She had been supportive of his newspaper, despite of how ridiculous his articles were, the least he could do was support her magic ventures. However he couldn't help but realize how destructive they were. Pandora was able to graduate early because of her marriage to Xenophilius, leaving her three friends alone at Hogwarts. This heightened Pandora's anxiety not only because the three remaining friends were unstable, which was the kindest way Xenophilius could put it, but also due to the fact that Voldemort was forming an army. An army that Xenophilius could only assume Regulus was part of, along with many of Pandora's family.

He couldn't even try to understand what it would be like, to have a family that was so evil. He would never be able to disown any of his children, no matter the circumstance. Pandora had only briefly discussed her childhood with him and the stories were dreadful, almost scarring. Pandora's wand lit up again, the light bouncing off of the sweat that was coursing down Pandora's face.

He had heard her talking to the boys during breaks. They would always stay in their small house and whisper for hours. Something about a plan, a plan that Xenophilius could only guess was dangerous. Every time the plan was discussed, Pandora would start practicing spells Xenophilius had never heard of. The distance created was unbearable.

There was a knock on the door. Sighing, Xenophilius left his wife, who's light was still beaming, and went to the door. "James?"

James Potter, in the flesh and blood, was at the Lovegood's doorstep. "Is my brother here?" His face was flushed, tears swelling in his eyes. Xenophilius blinked, his mind stopping for a moment.

"Erm..." Xenophilius looked behind him momentarily. He didn't think Jacob was here. Yet again, there were far more improbable things. With a harsh shove, James entered the house, his boots tracking in snow. "Excuse you!"

Pandora had come out of her room, wiping the sweat from her forehead and wrapping a shawl around her shoulders. Her previously relaxed face twisted into one of confusion as James stomped through the house. "James?"

The man in question ignored her, continuing his torment of their house. "James, come off it."

He ignored Pandora again, shoving her out of his way as he checked the couple's bedroom. The action triggered Xenophilius' rage as he immediately ran to protect his wife. "James!" Xenophilius watched as James ran outside of the room.

"Where is he?" James' voice thundered through the house. Pandora's face looked as puzzled as Xenophilius. "Where is he!"

"He's at Hogwarts, James!" Pandora yelled, her hair falling in her face. "He's finishing his term. What is wrong with you?"

James tugged on his hair, his glasses falling on the floor as he collapsed. The couple glanced at each other, Xenophilius helping Pandora up as the two stared at James. "James?" Xenophilus asked wearily, his hand itching for his wand. James sniffled before looking up, allowing the two to see his bloodshot eyes.

"Jacob joined."

"Joined?"

Tears fell from James' eyes and he quickly wiped them. "Jacob's a deatheater."