9

Pandora-

Pandora didn't think anyone was evil. Not fully. There were moments when she'd think her mother was evil and she'd scorn anyone who tried to think otherwise. But then she'd remember the small instances of civility. Where her mother helped Pandora bake cookies or brew potions. And then she would remember how her mother had changed after being influenced by Riddle. The thought alone made her shiver. Maybe Riddle was fully evil. Pandora truly didn't know. There were moments when she sympathized with the man. It could not have been easy to grow up in an abusive orphanage with full knowledge that you were different. Other. But then again, Gene was still growing up in the same environment and he's the most kind-hearted person she knew. Evil was a spectrum, Pandora decided. No one was entirely good or entirely bad. The heart was forced into choosing one or the other but one can change their opinions. One can go from bad to good and good to bad. And yet Pandora was marked with the touch of evil. Everyone in her house agreed. Regulus was marked with the touch of evil and he had scars to testify his sins. Jacob, although a Slytherin, was marked with good and yet he was the most morally grey friend she had. Gene was meant to be in coordination with good yet he prefers being morally grey. 

Pandora supposed it wasn't bad being marked as evil. She supposed that if some people knew she was nice then they would reconsider their decisions. But Pandora was also afraid. Afraid that if a war really did break out then her friends would be forced to choose. Pandora knew that she would fight against Riddle but she knew that Regulus didn't have a choice. Pandora glanced at Sirius to see him moping down the hall. It was the weekend and Pandora was mildly surprised that Sirius wasn't at Hogsmeade with his friends. 

"Sirius!" Pandora called. Sirius glanced behind him and stilled, waiting for his cousin to catch up to him. He supposed her company couldn't be the worst. She was, technically, a Lovegood and the two shared the experience of being disowned. "Why aren't you at Hogsmeade?" Sirius shrugged, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Didn't want to upset Reggie." Pandora nodded slowly, glancing at how red his cheeks were. It was a particularly chilly day. 

"Have you ever wanted to see the Ravenclaw common room? It's extremely warm in there and the books are interesting." Sirius didn't have the hear to confess that he had been the one to prank the Ravenclaws a couple days ago so he merely shrugged, allowing Pandora to drag him inside the Ravenclaw common room. "It's a shame, really. Someone tried to burn all of the books but I was quick enough to stop him. Xeno and I really tried our hardest to put them back in the correct condition." Sirius felt shame creep into his heart but he gulped it away. "It's also not as nice as the Slytherin common room. Unfortunately Regulus and Jacob got the short end of the stick this year so their sharing the small dorm." Sirius furrowed his eyebrows.

"They did?" Pandora hummed, sitting in the couch.

"The Slytherins found out the two are against the Dark Lord. Also being friends with Gene and I didn't help the situation." The fire crackled as Pandora smiled softly, her eyes clouding before she blinked, coming back to Earth. "Aren't you cold? The fire is so nice." She patted the couch and Sirius slowly sat next to her. The two sat in silence, allowing the fire to warm their bodies.

"What have you been thinking about?" Sirius asked, the red in his cheeks slowly melting away. 

"Whether somebody is completely evil." There was more silence before Pandora hesitantly glanced at Sirius. "Sirius, do you think I'm evil?" 

"No! Of course not! Has someone told you you are?" Pandora quickly shook her head.

"No. It's just..." She stared at the fire, trying to find the right words. "We've been told that our families were evil since the day we were introduced in society. It feels like I've been branded with evil and I can't escape it. Even after being disowned." 

"I understand," Sirius didn't understand but Pandora didn't have to know.

"And then Jacob. Jacob is supposed to be good but he was sorted into Slytherin." Sirius frowned, staring at the fire which was slowly turning blue.

"Slytherin isn't evil," Sirius whispered, trying to hide the shiver that ran down his back. Pandora didn't respond. Instead she put another log into the fireplace. 

"Your brother isn't evil." Pandora corrected softly, the heat melting any filter from her head. "Neither is Jacob. But you have been treating them as though they were evil the minute they were sorted."

"I know-,"

"And weren't you also the one who sent your parents the letter suggesting Regulus' homosexuality?"

"Yes-,"

"All while you and Lupin do God knows what in the Gryffindor dorms while no one is around." Pandora let out a cold laugh. "God Siri, do you know how much you've messed up?"

"Yes, Pandora, I know." 

"And what are you going to do about it? Wait silently until the huge problem fixes itself?"  Sirius said nothing. Instead he stood up and began walking towards the door. Pandora sighed in annoyance. "Where are you going? You can't just run away-," 

"I've run away too many times." Sirius growled, making sure his jumper was zipped. "I'm going to make everything right." He gave Pandora a suffocating hug. "Thank you Panda, you really are as inspirational as before." Pandora watched as he left the common room leaving a trail of determination in his path. Pandora stared for a moment longer before feeling the familiar feeling of dread.

"Oh dear," She thought out loud as the fire dimmed. "What have I done?"