8

Gene-

Gene had never been more surprised to see Jacob back from break so early. Apparently, Dumbledore had gotten an owl from Jacob to request an early return from home. The old man granted the request quickly, almost instantly, and Gene, of course, was the last person on earth to know about it. The thirteen-year-old had just finished breakfast when he saw Jacob's thin frame enter the cafeteria. Gene almost shit himself. Gene never told his friends this but he had never spent Christmas with people he cared about. Back at the orphanage, he would watch the other orphans get gifts while he cooked them breakfast. Maybe he just never wanted to feel connected to the holiday. Maybe that was why he was slightly disappointed to see Jacob there. He almost opted to ignore him but then realized that Jacob looked like complete and utter shit. Absolutely horrendous. So, despite his better judgment, he lifted his hand and waved. Jacob smiled and uncharacteristically sprinted to his friend's side and embraced him in the largest hug he could muster. All Gene could feel were bones. Even Jacob's torso felt boney. Gene's worry only increased when he watched Jacob eat like a stray dog who had been starved for years. Students stared at the hungry boy in astonishment.

"Bloody hell, what did they feed you?" 

"Nothing," Jacob choked out and Gene quickly poured him a glass of water. Jacob nodded in appreciation and took a large gulp, grinning when the food sat restlessly in his stomach. "How is your Christmas going?" Gene shrugged, picking at his fingers. If he was honest, it was terrible. He had missed his friends but also wondered how a normal Christmas was celebrated. Regulus and Pandora's families were too fucked to count as normal and Jacob, well Jacob seemed to be starved of any normalcy. 

"I want to go to muggle London. You know? See the Christmas tree?" Jacob snorted.

"The Christmas tree?" Gene shrugged. 

"I heard there's a really big one in the center of London. I dunno, sounded cool," 

"A Christmas tree? Sounding cool? It's like you've never seen a Christmas tree," Gene winced and looked down, suddenly ashamed. It wasn't like he never saw a Christmas tree. He saw it once, or maybe it was twice. He wasn't exactly sure. Maybe living at a place where everyone hated you had its flaws. Jacob's eyes softened and he stopped eating, glancing over at his friend. "You've never saw a Christmas tree?" Gene scoffed, crossing his arms stubbornly.

"I've seen reflections of 'em. Off my window. It was... pretty?" Gene shook his head, standing up. "You're going to puke if you keep eating. Let's go to your common room, I'll help you unpack." The two walked in silence, unsure of whether to laugh or cry. Gene glanced down at Jacob's frail hand before intertwining their hands together. Jacob flinched harshly pulling away causing Gene to frown. 

"What the hell?"

"It's what friends do!"

"That's a lovers thing!"

"It is not," Jacob scoffed, crossing his arms.

"Do you like me?"

"Yeah, like a brother." Jacob's eyes softened, remembering all the times James held his hand whenever he was feeling sad. There was one day where Jacob was too scared to cross the street and had started hyperventilating on the sidewalk. No parent wanted to help the boy because they thought he was overreacting but when James saw, he quickly picked Jacob up and carried him across the street. Every since then James always tried to comfort Jacob in someway. It only stopped after Jacob was sorted into Slytherin. Jacob sighed before aggressively grabbing Gene's hand. Gene jumped at the physical contact but slowly allowed his hand to warm Jacob's. It solidified their friendship and the two liked it more than they thought. Jacob blinked back tears, tugging Gene along.

"You said you'd help me unpack, yeah?" Gene grinned, willingly allowing Jacob to drag him to the dungeons.

"Yeah."

~

The two lay on Jacob's bed in dismay. They had finished unpacking hours ago and now were laying quietly. Jacob's mind was racing with ideas. Their hands were still interwined, something they both took great comfort in, and every few seconds Jacob would subconsciously squeeze Gene's hand like how he did with James. Gene had just found out about Jacob's treatment back at home and was now radiating negative energy throughout the dorm. Jacob wanted to say something to calm the former down but knew not what to say. He hesitantly turned to Gene.

"Do you want to see a Christmas tree?" Gene huffed, attempting to pull his hand away only for Jacob to hold on tighter.

"We can't leave the premises, Dumbles'll send you back to your house with your bitchy mother."

"'Ey," Jacob slapped Gene's head causing the boy to giggle. 

"Sorry," There was more silence before Gene spoke up again. "How did you escape?"

"James gave me an owl and told me to run. He said he'd give me his gift later." Gene's eyes widened before grinning. He quickly sat up.

"James? Brother James? Your hot brother was nice to you? This is amazing!" Jacob chuckled at the boy's excitement, the same feeling bubbling in his stomach and he rubbed his neck.

"It really is, I hope he's doing alright." Gene laughed, practically jumping in excitement. 

"I can't believe this day has come, James Potter being kind to a Slytherin! Wow, and I thought he was just an idiot." 

"He is an idiot, don't let this one moment fool you," Gene crawled over to Jacob, his hands soon found their way to Jacob's cheeks and he pinched them extra hard.

"Oh, you cute little boy," His voice mimicking the many nuns he had to listen to. "You're just so pessimistic. Oh being pessimistic is cool, let me just dress in all black and die my hair pink." He lightly slapped the boys cheeks, causing Jacob's mouth to mold into a pout. "He was kind to you." Jacob furrowed his brows, swatting away Gene's hands. 

"The way you said that makes me want to slap you." Gene shrugged his shoulders, taking out one of Jacob's sweaters to wear.

"Then slap me, but you can't deny that this is extra-ordinary. When was the last time you two even talked?"

"After we got off of the train." Gene blinked before grinning.

"And how long ago was that?" 

"Literally five days ago," Jacob deadpanned only for Gene to clap loudly.

"Exactly, good sir, five days ago which is one-hundred and twenty hours ago which is seven thousand, two hundred minutes ago which is four hundred, thirty-two thousand seconds ago not counting right now. That is so long, so terribly long."

"It really isn't," Gene scoffed, crossing his arms.

"Really? Explain how four hundred, thirty-two thousand is not a long number," Gene sat cross-legged on the bed, hand cradling his chin in innocent curiosity. "I'm waiting," Jacob scowled, shoving Gene away and yet somehow was unable to hide his apparent grin from his friend.

"I get your point," 

"Now look, James will be back in another week. Then you'll talk and you'll finally have something to celebrate!"