7

Gene-

Gene and Jacob lay next to the Ravenclaw fireplace. Their hearts thundering against their ribcage as they waited for a sign, anything, notifying them that Regulus was alive. At least that he was alive. The two hadn't talked to each other, mainly because they had different types of guilt festering their emotions. Gene knew that fucking Jacob's brother was a terrible fucking idea. He couldn't even remember half of it but the night was slowly becoming less and less hazy. There was no way, no possible way, Jacob would ever forgive Gene for what Gene did. Gene knew it wasn't his fault, well not entirely, but the thought of Jacob never talking to Gene again made Gene want to bury his head in a hole. Glancing at Jacob, Gene's heart thundered in his chest and he hated it. Gene wished that Jacob never asked about Gene's parents. He wished that they never had that deal over the summer. Sighing, Gene slowly sat up, relieving the weight from his stomach. Jacob watched quietly, wanting nothing more than to stop Gene in his tracks. Gene slowly rose to his feet, brushing his clothes from any cat hair that collected on Jacob's sweater. Jacob quickly grabbed Gene's hand, the fire glittering on his nose as he gazed up at Gene.

"Don't go," Gene smiled softly, pressing his hand against Jacob's head.

"It's late." 

"You're tired?" Jacob knew Gene too well. Maybe that was the curse of living with him. Maybe that was the curse of letting people too close to you. Gene's mind was racing and he knew he wouldn't be able to sleep. He felt like his brain was trying to jump out of his skull and it would only take one wrong move before he was left pouring out his emotions. "Stay," Jacob's fingers were now intertwined with Gene's, their rough skin colliding with each other. Gene gasped, his thoughts slowly going numb as Jacob's other arm wrapped around Gene's leg. "Please." Gene slowly nodded, unsure of whether this would be the right time to tell Jacob his true thoughts. The thoughts he kept buried in the deepest nook in his body. Gene was soon laying with Jacob's head on his stomach, the top of Gene's head burning from the heat of the fire. 

"Will he be okay?" Gene whispered, his hand tracing Jacob's face. He never recognized how sharp Jacob's facial features were. Jacob was too gaunt, Gene had to make him eat more. Jacob tensed at Gene's but slowly melted.

"He's Reggie. He's braver than I am."

"That's not saying much," Gene quipped. Jacob smiled, a soft puff of air escaping from his mouth as he chuckled. Gene would never lose his humor, at least Jacob hoped Gene would never lose it. Gene nudged Jacob's arm, a smile breaking out on his face as well. "We're not supposed to be laughing,"

"Then don't laugh," Gene couldn't help but laugh louder, his stomach vibrating causing Jacob's comfort to disappear momentarily, not that Jacob cared. Instead, Jacob joined in Gene's vibrato. The two sat up, their stomach's cramping from the amount of unadulterated humor they were experiencing.

"You're an asshole," Gene gasped, taking off his glasses so he could wipe his eyes. For a moment his vision was blurry and he could only make out Jacob's intense eyes that were glancing at him with a spot of curiosity. 

"Am I?" Gene nodded, pressing his knees to his stomach as he leaned against the couch pillows behind him.

"And a wanker, which is basically being a fucking prick." Gene frowned, glancing at the fire. "You're also an emo bitch, and you're a literal bitch. You're also a prude, and if you were still living with your family I would call you a privileged cunt as well." Jacob's laughs picked up once again, leaning in closer to Gene but only slightly.

"I'm the bitch?" Gene nodded, a smirk playing on his features.

"Yeah. And you act like a bitch as well. You bark and shit."

"You're louder than me," Jacob quipped. Gene rolled his eyes. The two realized that their conversation was nonsense, their insults were growing more and more precarious the more they talked. But Gene somewhat enjoyed the break in speed. Even if it was just for a second everything felt normal. Not too fast, not too slow, just perfect. Maybe that was the Jacob effect. Gene wondered if he could stay in this speed for just a little while longer. Just a few more seconds. Without thinking, Gene slowly leaned in and pressed his lips against Jacob's. Jacob gasped, listening to Gene's slowed heartbeat slowly quicken as Jacob pressed his hand on the back of Gene's neck. The two remained absolutely still, neither wanting to stop. Time stopped altogether, it seemed as though the world wasn't moving and that was perfect for the two of them. The two broken souls coming together to fill in each other's gaps. Jacob's lips tasted like black liquorice and Gene suddenly liked the taste. He wondered if his taste-buds had matured or if it was just the Jacob effect.

The two pulled away after what felt like a millennia. Jacob's face was flushed pink as he rested his forehead on Gene's, intertwining their fingers. Gene smirked, his worries all fading away. "I didn't think you would blush." Jacob groaned, burying his face in Gene's neck as he shook his head.

"Shut up." Gene slowly turned back to face the fire, smiling softly as the world finally felt like it was moving at the correct tempo.