6

T/W: Mentions of suicide and the pain of burning

Fire was dangerous. It devoured all it could and burned people beyond recognition. Fire killed people with no mercy, allowing them to fall victim to overbearing heat. No one in their right mind would approach fire unless they were properly equipped to deal with the consequences. Fire scarred and tormented humans until there was nothing left but burnt bones. Fire was also addictive. The way the heat bounced off of your skin and warmed your blood. If you didn't get close then you couldn't be burned and if you weren't burned then you could force yourself to forget that fire ever existed. But if you were burned, then the fire would be with you no matter what. No matter where you went, fire would stay in the back of your mind, pressing against your skin and causing your eyes to water and mouth to bleed. Then you would be stripped off all remaining dignity, the fire burning away all barriers between you and it. Fire makes people feel violated and vulnerable, stripping away any and all common decency until there was nothing left. But fire had a weakness, as most villains do. If you found an extinguisher then the fire would be gone. Crushed. Dead. The fire would fall prone and then all it took was a stab to the heart, a flick of a wrist, and fire would never be seen again. But the burns would stay forever. 

Regulus' arm burned. It stung. It ached. It throbbed. It caused Regulus' brain to scramble all of his surroundings as his head was forced against the table. Voldemort was standing behind him, relishing the work he created. Regulus glanced up to see his parents smiling, their golden child was back. Idiots. The world was full of idiots. Regulus waited and waited until the satin gloves were lifted and he was forced back into his chair next to his father who held a stern frown as he glanced at Regulus. 

"Don't cry," Regulus bit back any emotion, callously flicking his hair away from his face.

"The noble house of Black does not cry." Regulus' father hummed quietly, a sound of approval, before turning his attention towards the Grim Reaper who was now standing strong amongst his followers. Regulus had to make sure his head was clear of all thoughts. He watched as Bellatrix grabbed the Grim Reapers' hand, watched as the Grim Reaper kissed her hand sweetly, a complete repulsion coursed through Regulus' body but he ignored it. He had to be strong. If he wasn't strong then he wouldn't live. The Grim Reaper stared directly into Regulus' eyes. Regulus knew that the Grim Reaper was trying to pry into his thoughts, force any disloyalties out into the light, but Regulus was strong. He had to be. He couldn't let his friends get wrapped into the mess that was happening. Regulus had to be the catalyst to extinguish the fire. 

The Grim Reaper turned away and Regulus felt a wave of relief. His mother smiled at him, a look so tender, so accepting that Regulus was almost fooled. He had almost forgotten how she tortured him and Sirius the years before. Regulus' body wouldn't stop shaking but his father didn't mind. The meeting went on for what felt like ages, Regulus thought that his body was wrinkling and his eyes were melting from his sockets but he remained composed. He had to remain composed.

No one would save him now. Sirius would never forgive him. Oh god, Sirius. What would Sirius think? Did Sirius already know? What if Pandora went to Sirius had told Sirius about Regulus' plans? Would Pandora do that? The fire ignited once more and his arm felt like it was burning off. Pandora, poor Pandora. Sirius had never told Pandora of his intention. What if she thinks he's evil like the rest of the family? His cousin, his beloved cousin. The only family he could cling to. God, what had he done? His arm burned, it burned so fucking bad and his eyes watered and his breath quickened and the Grim Reaper was waiting. Waiting for Regulus to break under pressure, waiting to be the one to wave the scythe and kill Regulus. 

Gene was probably going to kill Regulus if the Grim Reaper didn't. The thought alone made Regulus feel somewhat better. A short Gene trying to trample Regulus, Regulus could picture the steam practically blowing out of Gene's ears.

'Did you really think that I wouldn't fucking kill you?' Gene would have jumped on Regulus' back and forced a whole cup of butterbeer down Regulus' throat as Gene yelled. 'In second year I swore on my fucking dick that I would never let you get a tattoo without me. Now look at me! I'm dickless, Reggie, fucking dickless!' But Gene had probably forgotten about their deal, Gene had probably wallowed in sadness. What if Gene killed himself? Oh God, what if Gene killed himself because of Regulus' selfish actions? What would Regulus do with himself. He was already Death Eater trash, what would the school think when they found out that the annoying bitch Gene committed suicide because of Regulus?

And Jacob, oh Jacob. Regulus' arm burned harsher than before. Jacob was Regulus' brother and the only brother that cared about Regulus. God, if Gene died Jacob would probably follow suit. Maybe he would sneak into James' room and use James' glasses as a knife. How long would it take? It's not an easy process. Would Jacob stop in the middle, his tear-filled eyes glaring at Regulus?

'You did this, Reggie. Look at what you did to me!' Regulus' eyes shot up, a small gasp leaving his lips as the Grim Reaper finished his speech. The two made eye contact and the Grim smiled, a sickeningly warm smile that would have made Regulus feel welcome if Regulus was naïve. But Regulus wasn't naïve, he was more than just another rich Slytherin falling into the grips of Grim. He stared back at the Grim Reaper, his emotions unwavering, daring the Grim Reaper to try and read his mind. Regulus was strong, he was strong enough to combat the terror that was in front of him. He was stronger than the other followers, than his parents, and although he wasn't strong enough to dethrone the Grim Reaper, he knew that someone would come. One day, someone would find a way to kill the Grim and Regulus knew that his own actions could change the wizarding world. 

The Grim Reaper stared at Regulus as the boy stared back. Both challenging each other to a game of infinite chess. The pieces moved strategically on top of an invisible board. And then the Grim Reaper looked away, the burning vanished, and the ambers glowed dully.