Act Two~ 1

Gene-

Gene had never really thought about death. He liked to live in the moment and thought that worrying about something that was so far in his future was dumb. He was living a good life now. He had a good group of friends who were all alive, he had snogged most boys in his year, and he was considered a sixth year heartthrob. What more could he ask for? Plus, when he went back to the orphanage during the summer no boys would even try to hurt him. He was old now. The others were not. Besides, he'd be with Jacob all summer. So yes, it was better to live in the now than the future. Maybe this was why he was hit so hard when he heard of Regulus' plans. He was supposed to be asleep. He had been spending nights in Regulus and Jacob's room because Pandora had been too preoccupied with work. The two would usually wait until Gene was half asleep before whispering among themselves. Their whispers would usual lull Gene to sleep, creating a sense of comfort that Gene couldn't exactly describe. But this night was different. Gene couldn't sleep. His skin felt as though it was on fire, like the tattoo gun was running over every part of his body. It was unbearable and painful but Gene didn't want to tell his friends. He knew they would worry. So, per usual, there was thirty minutes of his friends allowing him to fall asleep. He lay on Jacob's bed while Regulus and Jacob sat on Regulus' bed. Gene was about to fall asleep but this time their whispers were louder than before.

"You like him, don't you?" Regulus' asked out loud. Gene could hear Jacob scoff before sighing.

"Everyone likes him, Reg." 

"But you love him, don't you." Gene's heart was thundering in his chest and he slowly turned so then his face wouldn't be seen by the two boys. He didn't want his friends to see his blush. He could of sworn he heard Jacob let out a flustered breath before there was more silence.

"Are you going to go swear during Christmas?" Gene's thundering heart stopped dead in its tracks. Swear? What did they mean by swear? Regulus sighed.

"They said it was the only time he would accept me." Accept him? Who? What was going on? Gene's body had begun to feel on fire but he resisted crying out in discomfort. 

"This is the most dangerous thing you've done. If he finds out you're working against him he'll kill you." 

"It's better me dead than a whole population of wizards. I have to do this, Jacob." 

"Becoming a Death Eater is never a good option." Gene could've sworn he swallowed his heartbeat. He felt like he couldn't breath. He could hear Regulus inhale sharply.

"It's the only option we have. What, you think my brother will be able to stop the war himself?" Jacob was about to interject but Regulus cut him off. "Sirius is a brave person, yes, but I would never want him to murder someone. That's not him. He could never do it. Whoever said he can would be a liar."

"But you couldn't either, Reg. Stop making yourself into a God." 

"I'm not-,"

"Yes you are. You don't have to be selfless and you don't have to pretend you're okay. This is a stupid idea." Gene almost shouted out in agreement. He hoped Regulus would change his mind.

"This idea is the only one we have. Unless you have a better idea." There was a five minute pause and it was like time stood still. All Gene could hear was the ruffling of sheets as his two friends shifted their weight for what seemed like an eternity. Gene's body felt heavy and the flames seemed to be getting hotter by the second. Gene wanted to scream in frustration but his mind was slowly fogging with exhaustion.

"This will kill Panda."

"She'll be fine. She'll know what I'm trying to do."

"Then what about Gene? You're his brother, you're his other half."

"He'll have you." Jacob let out a bitter laugh which caused Regulus to quiet him. 

"He doesn't like me anymore." Gene felt his heart ache for a reason that was unknown to him. 

"What happened between you two last summer?" Jacob sighed, Gene assumed Jacob had realized that Regulus was trying to switch the topic. Gene almost forgot to breath, hoping Jacob would lie.

"We had a pact." Gene was about to bury himself in embarrassment. 

"Pact?"

"We would snog if he committed himself to finding his parents."

"Did it work?"

"His parents are dead, Reg." Gene felt his eyes tear up. Jacob promised him. He had promised him. "They were killed."

"So you and Gene snogged. Anything further?" 

"I wanted to." Gene felt his face turn bright red. There was no way Jacob was telling the truth. No way. "I really did. But Gene didn't want that. He didn't want to be with me. He just needed someone to snog." Gene's eyes began to water but he didn't dare move. There was more silence before Regulus stood up and crossed to Gene. He placed a hand on Gene's forehead which caused Gene to let out a pained moan. 

"Shit, he's burning." Jacob quickly ran to Gene's side, somehow they were both unaware that Gene was still awake and had heard the entire conversation. Jacob grabbed Gene's hand while he pulled out his wand. He softly murmured a spell and Gene's body immediately relaxed. His body felt as though it was washed with ice water and the burning went away. Gene shivered but finally felt his body lulling him to sleep.

"That happened before at the orphanage. He doesn't remember though." Regulus let out a pitying sigh as Gene felt Jacob stroke his hair. The motion caused Gene's mind to slowly fog as his body slowly shut down. He was physically and emotionally exhausted. He tried to keep himself awake but soon his body betrayed him. His head rested against Jacob's leg although Gene was made at him. He was beyond furious at the two Slytherins from keeping such an important secret from him and Pandora. The last thing he thought before falling asleep was how the two had betrayed him.