9

Gene-

He watched as Edward Avery limped into the dining hall, a bruised cheek being the least of the first year's ailments. Gene watched in mild amazement as the child sat down at the Slytherin table, obviously doing his best to avoid eye contact with the group. It had been a week since Gene assumed the Avery kid had sent the letter to the Black family. The three had waited restlessly, waiting for something to change. But nothing did. The classes kept rotating, the students kept laughing, the Marauders kept pranking, and Dumbledore kept smiling. He kept fucking smiling. But he knew what was happening. Everyone knew what was happening but nobody was doing anything. It was like Hogwarts was wrapped in an impenetrable bubble that kept all the horrors away from most students. But if people looked closer they would see the bloodshot eyes of the Slytherins, the terrified looks that the older kids gave each other when they walked passed each other in the hallways. But of course, if it wasn't bothering the majority, then it wasn't bothering Dumbledore.

Gene knew that everything was going to go to shit soon, it was only a matter of time until the war started. Everyone knew it. The only thing he could do now was rest his head against his arms and nap while Pandora did homework next to him. His hands itched for a cigarette but he knew it was idiotic to smoke it in front of the headmaster and his minions. Instead he let his hands itch for Jacob's hand, wanting the same warmth he got when he lit his lighter. Jacob instantly reciprocated the action, clutching Gene's hand harder than Gene had originally wanted but Gene wasn't mad about it.

"They keep staring at me like I'm a fucking devil or something," Jacob sighed, rubbing his bruised knuckles against his eyes. Pandora scoffed, still pissed that Jacob had the gull to beat up a first year. They had tried to justify the action only for Pandora to get even more cross.

"Well rumors travel fast around Hogwarts, you should know that." Pandora didn't look up from her work, but her quill broke from how hard she was pressing against the parchment. Gene, who hadn't lifted his head from the table, nudged Pandora with his spare arm. She didn't respond but wrote with more vigor.

"Shit they're coming," Jacob hissed. That caused Gene to prop his head up from the table. The Marauders were indeed coming. James Potter, the man who Gene had been ignoring for months, was coming full speed up to the trio with no intentions of stopping. Gene was about to start running but Jacob's iron grip kept him in place. Gene was trying to pry away from Jacob's hand when the Marauders sat directly across from the three friends, the nearest Ravenclaw students immediately sliding away. Pandora had finally stopped writing, her focus waning as Regulus' brother sat in front of them, looking strangely nervous. James was staring at Gene and Jacob, his eyes remaining on Gene for a little too long. "The hell do you pricks want?"

"Do you know where my brother is?" Gene pretended to ponder the question, hoping his insensitivity would mask his panic.

"You had a brother? Huh, I never knew. I learn new things about you everyday." Sirius scoffed and Gene's snark. Remus also seemed mad at Gene's answer because he offered Gene a quick kick to his shin which caused Gene to wince, melting into Jacob's side. Jacob glared harshly at Remus, his eyes shining dangerously.

"We don't know." James glanced at his brother's knuckles, his brow furrowed.

"Have you been fighting?" Jacob shrugged.

"I've dabbled." Peter glanced at the Slytherin table to see the bruised Avery first year and immediately shrunk back, suddenly terrified. Pandora watched in mild interest as Peter began scratching his left arm. Gene saw it to and immediately widened his eyes. The two made eye contact and Peter began squirming. "Careful, it looks like your rat wants to dash." Remus glared at Jacob, glancing at Peter who looked uncomfortable.

"Don't call him that." Sirius demanded, his frown deepening.

"Don't you call him Wormtail?" Pandora asked, glancing at Dumbledore who had a newfound fascination with the group of seven. She had a terrible feeling that something bad was about to happen. Something that Dumbledore would be solely responsible for. She stared at the headmaster and the two made eye contact. Her pulse quickened as his eyes sparkled. Once out of interest and once out of danger. Sheer danger. Pandora quickly looked back at the Marauders who were exchanging sarcastic quips with her friends. "We don't know where Regulus is."

"You haven't tried to make contact with him?" Sirius asked in disbelief. Jacob pressed his bruised knuckles to his cheek, flexing the bruised flesh. Sirius sighed, rubbing his forehead. "How long ago?"

"A week," Pandora answered calmly, closing her ink jar and putting her homework back into her bag. Sirius stuttered over his words, obviously trying to remain calm. Gene supposed the Marauders had thought the three of them had known about Regulus' whereabouts. They technically did, but not to the fullest extent. So, honestly, they weren't completely lying. Sirius ran his hand through his hair, his emotions unreadable. Gene sighed, standing up from the table. The atmosphere was ruined and the energy was even worse than it was before.

"I've got charms." Gene groaned, grabbing his bag of books that he unceremoniously had thrown in. He had no real passion for learning shit that would be useless in the war but he wanted to get away from the Marauders. If that meant studying, then by god would he study his ass off. James started to stand up to only for Jacob to block his line of vision. He reached Gene before Gene could leave the dining hall. He intertwined their hands, making sure that his body hid their hands from the rest of the students.

"Let's talk later, yeah?" Gene sighed, wanting to ignore the fluttering in his stomach whenever Jacob's thumb grazed over Gene's hand. He nodded, unsure of whether to laugh or cry when Jacob began to lean in only to stop himself. He returned back to Pandora, who watched the two with a small smile. Gene made eye contact with James before rushing out of the dining hall. God, he wanted Regulus' emo bitch ass moping so fucking badly. He could only pray Regulus was alright because Gene would never feel truly at home if all his friends weren't accompanying him.